Options

T@B 400 BD 3-way fridge size question

While we wait for our camper to go through the build process (started Monday) we're doing some planning for our summer travels with it.  One question that's come up is, how big is the 3-way fridge?  Mainly, can a gallon jug of milk fit in the 3-way fridge, possibly if we remove one of the shelves?

Or, will it at least fit a 1/2 gallon jug (or ideally 2 of them)?

The wife is something of a milk-drinking fiend, plus if nothing else, breakfast in the mornings...
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The fridge is a little under 3 CuFt, so two half gallon cartons should fit.  That said, a three way running on propane has limited cooling capacity, and on high heat conditions, might not keep the milk cold enough.  You could always get a a good cooler, like the Yeti, and put the milk in it with some ice or cold packs.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    A gallon or half gallon will not fit in the door.  Quart sizes bottles generally fit.  If you take out the bottom shelf you should be able to fit a gallon or two half gallons in the bottom drawer.   The other think you can do is just pour the gallon of milk into a few nalgene style bottles and store it in the fridge that way.  You could easily store several in the vegetable drawer or even a couple in the door with the right shape bottle.  We have no experience with our 3 way fridge in hot humid climates but do in hot dry climates and ours has performed very well in the hot dry climates.  When we take trips, generally 5 or more nights, we also use our IceCo compressor fridge which we keep in the back seat of the truck.  That will keep things cold in any conditions.  We use that for most of our drinks and some food items and we use the 3 way for 90% of our food and a few drinks stored in the door.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    @Denny16 when you say "high heat," what does that mean?  We're in Michigan, so most likely we'd be looking at highs when camping MAYBE in the 90Fs  We do have a Yeti, but it's a BIG Yeti that we've not checked if it'll fit in the bed of the Jeep with the cover pulled over it for travel (but we're going to check.)
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    There have been reports of issues when the temps are in the 90s or higher, mostly from Southeast where the humidity is also high.  We have the mid size Yeti, and it fits under the Jeep Gladiator bed with cover over it (just barley), not sure if the larger model is higher, or just wider.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    @Denny16 so it's possible it might be OK then, as our humidity doesn't usually get real high.  As for the Yeti, we've got a 105 or 125 and when I tape measured it to the bed, it was higher than the sides, so it's both higher and I think wider.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited March 2022
    I live in the Washington DC area and we have ALOT of 90+ days VERY humid. I've never had an issue with fridge keeping things very cold. In fact if I forget and leave it in the highest setting it freezes things. 

I'm a milk drinking fiend also! You might be able to fit a gallon with the shelf out but that's going to take up ALOT of your needed space. You could lay the 1/2 gallon on its side (and hope for no leaks) but I'm able to fit one half gallon on the door but it only fits dead center where the shelf is the widest. 

For a little extra space I remove the pull out drawer thing in the bottom. I really don't think it's useful. 
  • Options
    @TabbyShack is this when you're on shore power or are you running the fridge on battery or propane?
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Oh sorry, shore power. I've not boondocked yet but plan to in the new one. 
  • Options
    Yes, the three way works normally on AC power, but does not have temp control, so it can freeze if set too high.  One reason I prefer the AC/DC compressor fridge, it works regardless, but high temp inside the TaB can effect any fridge, three-way or compressor.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    We are in southern Ontario so very similar to Michigan and have found the 3-way very adequate. Just make sure you precool it the night before and only put in precooled food and you'll be fine. We throw in a couple frozen water bottles for any extended driving and it keeps things nice and cold for hours without even using the DC while driving.  Note that DC is a huge power hog so make sure you're only using it on propane or shore power when parked, and either ice packs or DC while driving (if your TV can supply enough juice!  A battery monitor like the Victron is fantastic to measure that as you're travelling).