Options

Power To Norcold 3 Way only from TV

@021 T@B 400 Prepared for 4th camping trip. Turned refrigerator on shore power to start then switched to propane which also worked fine. Took unit to storage for overnight. When I dropped it off I had no power to refrigerator. Everything else worked fine. Hooked back up to take home to empty ref and ref works as long as it is plugged into TV
Crazy!!! I checked all fuses. Will not work on shore power or battery, only when plugged into Tow Vehicle. Any suggestions???

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    What is the voltage of the battery ? My WAG would be the battery is low and the converter isn't charging. Most 3-way fridges need the 12V DC supply at a certain level to operate the control board, regardless of what power source you want to use. The 3 way fridges in the 320 are the exception to this rule as they don't have any electronics. 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @SydmargoWelcome to the T@B family and the world of absorption refrigeration.

Your final statement . . .
    Will not work on shore power or battery, only when plugged into Tow Vehicle.
    Is odd.  How are you defining 'Fridge Works' - - - the Control Panel is active or you have waited long enough to observe cooling?

I suggest . . . now that some time has past you start over confirming Fridge Power Source operation. As No single fault point comes to mind that allows Fridge operation on TV +12VDC only.

For reference a simple trailer wiring diagram:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 144
    I found that a surge when plugging into shore power at garage triggered some sort of over-protect in my Norcold 2 way, causing no cooling (light stays on).. i did a lot of tinkering before realizing i should shut off 12v power (and maybe trailer breaker) then plug in and the Norcold works great.
    Also should be using my surge protector even at home. Hope this helps
  • Options
    SydmargoSydmargo Member Posts: 25
    All fixed. My fantastic RV Dealer said bring it in and they would take a look at it. Found out that my refrigerator was not grounded. I don’t know how it worked for the past 5 months. I am so lucky to have a dealer (RV World of Bradenton Fl) who I called on the way to a camping trip. 
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    Thanks for closing the loop. It was probably some wire that rattled loose. 
  • Options
    AubreyAubrey Member Posts: 144
    From the fridge controller? That would be vexing.