Options

Towing 2022 T@B 400 Boondock with 2017 Toyota 4 - Runner SR5 4WD

jdbowerjdbower Member Posts: 4
Can the 2017 4-runner tow the TB 400? Or should I get the TB 320 S?

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    IMHO, nope on TaB 400.
    4-Runner (correctly equipped) can tow 5,000# max. while Tab 400 can be near 4,000#
    However, I'm old school and do not like/enjoy towing near the max. rating.

Of course your situation and most importantly how far & frequently you will be towing have a huge impact on what is Okay vs Ideal vs 'sanely' Safe . . . .
    And everyone has a different OPINION on what is " safe "
    "safe" as in performance to get-out-of -the-way-of-an-accident.
    Or TV maintenance & repair issue,
    Or 'personal comfort (lack of stress)' while towing.
    Just keep in mind the less you stress the power of your Tow Vehicle the fewer possible 'bad experiences' of repair costs, braking issues, towing performance you will have to live with.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    FWIW one of my friends tows her 400 with a Grand Cherokee, some other tow an R-pod with a 4Runner. A T@b 400 isn't pushing the limits in terms of towing capacity or tongue weight (except for the early ones). The 4Runner is also still based on a truck-style body-on-frame design. 

Definitely doable, a bigger/heavier tow vehicle obviously leaves more margin. 

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    edited March 2022
    Given how conservative Toyota is in their engineering/specifications, the 4Runner is capable.  A few things to consider.  You're mileage will be low (10-12 mpg), you won't be able to climb a mountain pass at 65 mph (especially at higher altitudes), and the remaining vehicle cargo capacity for the 4Runner is relatively low compared to other vehicles, like the Highlander.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    I take very good care of my 4-Runner. I'm leaning toward the T@B 320S Boondock. 
  • Options
    The hitch on 4-Runner is 20 inches and the coupler on TB 320S Boondock is 21. Should I get 2 inch ball raised one inch or just standard rise 2 inch ball?   
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    The 4Runner will sag a bit, so 2 inch rise should work.  
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    subfreq111subfreq111 Member Posts: 45
    Your 4Runner is more than capable of towing either model. It's one of the few SUVs left that are built on a real truck frame. An XJ Jeep Cherokee is also rated for 5k and your vehicle is far more substantial with an extra 100hp, bigger disc brakes etc. Base your decision on which trailer you'd rather have. My F150 would tow a 400 fine, but I wouldn't trade our 320 for a 400.
    Nick / 2018 T@B 320 S / 2010 VW Jetta TDI / Coeur d'Alene, ID
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    There is more to towing safety and comfort than straight-ahead down the road with no other traffic.  For these small trailers and towing stability I would much rather have the full independent suspension, low-profile tires, more rigid body of an adequately rated unibody tow vehicle.

To tow a T@b 400, the 4Runner's lateral stability can be improved with a weight distribution hitch and a sway control device, and tires without a lot of sidewall flex.  Go into the slow lane and use lower gears to climb and descend hills, and let the engine rpm go higher going up grades for more power, and higher rpm going down grades for more engine compression braking.

To tow a T@b 320 put on a sway control bar for stability.

Choose the trailer you like, the 320 will work better and be more economical for long distance towing, the 400 will work better for shorter trips and longer stays in camp.  They both have advantages, but you must be able to fit into the tiny 320 to be comfortable.

Our priority is long distance travel, we chose the T@b 320s Boondock and on our first trip.  Love it, my wife says it reminds her of many years (1972-2009) camping/traveling in pop-top VW Camper vans, but we sort-of have a bath now and it's a dream towing in even heavy truck traffic.  Luxury depending on your point of view.

Doug K
    2022 T@b 320s BD
    2021 Honda Ridgeline BE 
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    ArizonayetiArizonayeti Member Posts: 26
    @jdbower I've towed my 400 with a 2018 4Runner for 3 years now and have never and any issues with the stability of the truck/trailer combo.  I tow all over AZ and CO and in some pretty serious monsoon winds and curvy mountain roads.  I don't use any a sway control bar. I do however have the 4Runner lifted w/ Fox coilovers/shocks that are more controlled then the stock "Off-Road" setup...so I'm sure that does help a bit.  Expect 10-12 mpg, cruising at 65 you'll be hunting between 4th and 3rd gear, and on steep grades you'll have your foot almost to the floor.  Good luck on your choice. 
    2020 T@B 400 BL w/solar.  TV 2018 4Runner w/ Fox 2" lift.