Options

First Trip - Successful!

BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
edited April 2014 in Camping & Travel
We just completed our first trip in the new T@B. We had a great time and surprisingly everything went smoothly. The trip also confirmed that we chose the right model T@B for our life/camping style. I am so glad we drove the extra distance to Beckley's RV who (at the time) had all of the different models on their lot. The T@B I thought I wanted was not the model I ended up buying. There is a lot of great information on this forum and it definitely prepared me for this trip - thank you to all that contribute. My biggest fear was the dump station and it was a piece cake for the black water tank and grey water. I really liked the Valterra Hydroflush. Right before the trip I decided to get a tall kitchen wastebasket to store the sewer hose and all the attachments that I stored during travel in the wet bath. I will also put in a plug for the BAL Leveler which was so easy to use.
Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
Go Colts!

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Bryan & Vicki...I (like others I'm sure) really appreciate your comments. I'm kinda surprised how LG or the retailers don't help Newbies more than they do, considering their premium price and product. We ordered a 2015 S Maxx, due in a few weeks, got a lot of tips and the BAL leveler thanks to this Forum, but I hadn't seen the Valterra Hydroflush before (just ordered one from Amazon)...great idea. Thanks again...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    p.s. for those who haven't seen the flush of the Hydroflush, here's a helpful video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61pe4vtp3zA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Couple of questions:

Is there typically a garden hose available at dump sites?

Is there a possibility of backing the black water tank back up through the potty?

Where are you all storing your hoses after? New, I have my drain hose coiled in the front storage (battery) box... but I wonder, how nasty does it get? (We haven't even used the potty yet... we used those potty liners on the last trip, as no blackwater dump was available).
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    There was a hose at the dump site but is was too short to connect the hydroflush. I did buy a 50 foot pocket hose that I hooked up to the water supply. After draining and flushing the black tank - I drained the grey water tank and then rinsed the sewer hose. I decided to store the sewer hose, extra fittings and pocket hose in a 13 gallon wastebasket that fit perfectly in the wet bath during travel.
    Go Colts!

• Options
    Hmmm... I have a hose for freshwater... and a couple of spare old hoses in the barage. Perhaps I should bring it along. I am thinking possibly of installing a large pvc pipe across the aframe. Hmmmmm... lol! So many possibilities.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Some have put a PVC pipe under the frame to store the sewer hose.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    Hey what is the brand name for those potty liners? 
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Check out the EZ HOSE carrier.
    Comes in several lenghts.
    We attached it to trailer on left side.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

JBug -- I use the Go Anywhere biodegradable bags with "poo powder."  I order them online from Camping World.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/go-anywhere-toilet-kit-12-pack/24397

I have gotten them on sale for $26 for a box of 12 bags, but currently they are listed for $31.44.  They are durable and fit under the lid of the porta potty in T@B with ample room.  The used bag is then sealed in an outer bag with a heavy-duty Ziploc closure top.  They are great for weekend camping trips and boondocking.

:O)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    Thank you Beth!  Great information!!
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options

JBug -- You can get them from Amazon, too.  Last weekend when I was in Florida for my nephew's wedding, I rented a kayak from Lover's Key State Park at Ft. Meyers Beach and paddled around -- thought about you.  It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed it.  Gosh, that area of Florida is beautiful.  I have SO many places I want to visit with my T@B

:P
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Walmart carries the Reliance Double Doodie, double zip lock bags for the Luggable Loo, but they're not biodegradable.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    There are what we ordered... 36 for 16 bucks:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009V47QV2

• Options
    Our second trip was equally as fun and a day longer (3 days) than the first trip. We learned a few more things about the T@B and got to use a few more of the toys that we bought after the first trip or didn't get to use the first time. We setup without an issue but realized later that evening that we didn't have an hot water. I spent most of the next morning trying to diagnose the issue and through this forum located a blown glass fuse in the Alde system. A quick trip to Radio Shack and all was well. With all the turning the water on and off my grey water tank needed draining so I got to try out my Thetford XL 18 gallon tank (I have a 19 gallon tank on the T@B). When this arrived I was second guessing my purchase because of it's size, but I am glad I bought it and we have plenty of room in the tow vehicle to transport. I also picked up a $12 rv antenna off amazon that worked great. The one item that we picked up after the first trip that we liked the most and was the least expensive was the $6 swivel spray nozzle for the sink - Thanks Neil! Can't wait for trip number 3 in 2 weeks.
    Go Colts!

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    BryannR - would you mind giving details on the kind of rv antenna you got off of amazon? I'm continually adding to my "T@B" list of things to get, places to go, tips, etc., so when this becomes a reality I can refer back to all the things people have posted. Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    There is an antenna thread that I posted a link to the amazon listing. I have only tested at home and one state park but it worked great especially on a rainy day.
    Go Colts!

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Found it - thank you....
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options

Hi, Bryan -- YIPPEE on another successful trip.  I just got back from my second excursion with ClemenT@B, and it is amazing how many more things I learned, too -- including I now have towed during rush hour on the Interstate and towed in rain.  I'm gaining confidence! 

So, I am wondering about your Thetford portable tank.  Do you wheel it over to the dump station when it's full?  Do you hook up your sewer hose, or is there a drain plug that you can position over the sewer dump to empty it?  I would only use it for grey water, and I could have used it on my most recent trip as my sewer hose wasn't long enough to reach the drain.  I ended up draining the grey water into a jug and pouring it down the sewer drain.

:(
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Beth, the Thetford tank has a sewer connection that is intended for draining.  I bought a sewer connection and hose combo at Wal-Mart, then took the hose loose from the connections and shortened it to about one foot, then reconnected the fittings.  When I get ready to empty the tank, I take off the drain cap from the tank and install the sewer hose.  I can then put the sewer drain fitting in the camp sewer, tilt up the tank and let it drain.  It will not all drain out, so when it is about empty I lift up the tank to finish draining.  Save the sewer hose you cut off in case you find that you need a different length that works for you.  I have reconfigured my setup twice, but the standard length of hose that comes with the combo is 10 feet, so you have plenty to play with.  FYI, the sewer hose has wire to form the spirals, so you will need wire cutters to shorten it.  Will probably also need some needle-nosed pliers to bend back the end that you cut off so it won't stick you.  You may also find, as I did, that getting the hose back on the fittings takes a little effort.  I suppose some people who use the Thetford tank just try to pour the water straight from the tank into the sewer, but I found that this is almost impossible without spillage, and the hose setup makes it much easier.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    And, I should add in case you haven't seen one of the tanks, that the drain is on top of the tank, which makes the sewer hose setup more necessary.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Hi Beth, With the XL model, a retractable sewer connection is built into the tank. All you do is connect to the gray water tank and open the valve. The XL tank also has 4 wheels so you can roll it like a wagon to the dump station and empty it with the built in hose. I believe the smallest size of the XL is 18 gallons, so if the dump station is not within walking distance this could be difficult to transport since full it will be well over 150 lbs.
    Go Colts!

• Options
    Golly, gee, I need to think about this before I buy one.  I appreciate the information.  This affirms my conviction that you need to take T@B on several excursions before deciding on systems.  There's a lot of information to consider as to one's "philosophy of camping."  The good news is -- IT'S ALL GOOD!  IT'S A T@B! :x