Options

Charging with a Jackery Panel.

We have a Jackery 500 and the Jackery Solar Saga 100 watt panel. We are getting a T@B 320-S Camper that has a 100 Watt Roof mounted panel and will be using a 100AH Lithium battery. I would like to be able to use the Jackery Panel as well to charge the battery directly. The battery is in a tongue box and I would like to mount an external socket on that box that is wired into the battery and use an extension cord with the Jackery panel. Any suggestions on what I would need to do this? Renology parts are readily available to me.

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404

I have the same set-up as what you are planning to do, here are the items I purchased to do this: 

I bought inexpensive PWM charge controller, MPPT would be better. 

I cut-off the female/male connector on the SolarEnz cable so that this end of the cable is connected to the charge controller and the 8mm end connects to the SolarSaga.

I cut-off one end of the Elector extension cable so it connects to the charge controller and the other end connects to the external socket on the T@B. 

My 320s already had the external solar charge socket so I don't have the detail on what you need but I am sure you will find it on Amazon

I used this set-up last season and it worked very well charging the T@B battery or the Jackery

2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    The post above doesn't spell it out but the Jackery panel relies on the charge controller in the Jackery box so it doesn't have a controller mounted to it. Which is different from most mobile solar panel setups that have an integrated controller. 
    A PWM controller is fine for a 100W panel but make sure it has a LiFePo setting. 
  • Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    Grumpy_G said:
    The post above doesn't spell it out but the Jackery panel relies on the charge controller in the Jackery box so it doesn't have a controller mounted to it. Which is different from most mobile solar panel setups that have an integrated controller. 
    A PWM controller is fine for a 100W panel but make sure it has a LiFePo setting. 
    That was my understanding also though I have recently been told that if my Jackery Solar Sage 100 watt panel had outputs to charge a phone as well as USB devices then it does have an onboard controller. Your thoughts?

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    I have 2 jackery solar saga 100 panels.  They do not have a charge controller so you will want one if you are going to use it to charge your battery.  They can charge cell phones without a charge controller because most modern cell phones can not be overcharged.  They kind of act as their own controller.  Once they hit 100% they stop receiving a charge.  But your trailer battery is not like a cell phone and can be over charged.  If you want to use the solar saga to charge your trailer then you need to get a controller to run it through.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @Grumpy_G the Renogy Wanderer has LiFePo setting
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    So does the Victron MPPT75/10 and 75/15.  The Blue 75/10 is all you need for a single 100 watt panel.  But the 75/15 is only a few $ more and will work with both a single 100 Watt or 200 watt setup.  Both have a blue tooth smart phone app to setup and control the units.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.