Options

Colorado Springs Area Sees Increase in Trailer Theft

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Unlike!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited July 2015
    Fortunately, this was a cargo trailer, which happens in Indianapolis with a lot of car racing trailers. But it could still happen with camping trailers.

A neighbor of mine had a cargo trailer with Harley decals on it. Broken into frequently, until he took the Harley decals off. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

It is [mostly] utility trailers on the (DIRTBAG) thieves "items to steal" list.

I live on Long Island, NY. We have a GAZILLION landscapers/contractors here. Utility trailers are desirable, so.....it stands to reason, the DIRTBAG THIEVES will be working overtime stealing utility trailers.

If I were a (DIRTBAG) trailer thief, I wouldn't want to be towing a stolen T@B! Other than its use as a T@B, it doesn't have the right risk vs. return ($$) DIRTBAG THIEVES desire.

I'm aware of the theft, and return of the damaged T@B in Salt Lake City, however, I think such a theft would be a rare amongst DIRTBAG TRAILER THIEVES!

Simple theft prevention steps should greatly lower the risk of your T@B being stolen!

Suggestion: Carry photos of your T@B. If by chance it is stolen, Law Enforcement will be able to easily identify your T@B. 

Hopefully, the T@B family won't ever have to experience the theft of another T@B.

If a T@B thief is caught, what should the punishment be? I'm just asking.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Punishment - A year of boondock tent camping in the desert.
  • Options
    With or without food/water/utilities?
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    With AC that doesn't cool more than 10°
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I always thought that somewhere along my many miles of boondocking I'd run into a meth head or something suspicious but never have. 
  • Options
    Maybe we can form some sort of T@B Militia to battle the thieves & meth-heads that would seek to cause harm to the T@B Community. We can use some of my anti-zombie devices against them!
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Sorry to hear this.  Colorado Springs is one of my favorite cities. 

I was told it's unlikely to have trailer stolen at camp sites as all are nice folks.

We will take our very first trip to Galveston and few more to other areas in the coming months.   What can we do to prevent stealing? 

TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Playc, there are many discussions about how to protect your T@B, including tire locks, hitch locks, etc.  Do a search (upper right hand corner of this page) on lock or locks and pull up a chair.  There's lots of information about how to protect yours.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Verna - Thanks.  Per suggestions from the Forum I just ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031XULF2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston