Dexter axle brake inspection and bearing repack

I have about 20,000 miles on my 2019 T@B400. I am departing on a long trip and doing some preventative maintenance including repacking wheel bearings and checking brake linings. The axle manufacturer says using the grease fittings to push in new grease and push out old grease is an alternative to a traditional repack which is more complicated (so less likely to get done) (https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area/content_media/raw/e-z-lube-lit-239-00.pdf). I used the grease fittings last year and again this year. It's great because all you have to do is lift the wheel off the ground to spin it while you pump grease into the fitting, you don't even have to remove the wheel. Note, lithium grease is required. This year I pulled one brake drum to check my brakes. Dexter says 1/16 inch is the minimum braking lining required. I still have more than that but I see brakes in my future, probably next year. Pulling the drum takes more work but it allowed me to examine the inside of the drum. Be careful not to damage the rear bearing seal (see the red arrow in the photo) when removing or reinstalling the brake drum. 

2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• FishDoctorFishDoctor Member Posts: 60
    Based on what I have been seeing about brakes on these axles, it looks simpler and not exceedingly more expensive to replace the entire brake kit instead of just replacing the brake shoes. So you might want to plan on doing that when it is time to replace brakes. Not sure about the T@B 400 models, but the 2017 320S I have uses Dexter 3,500 lb Axle 10" x2-1/4 Electric Brakes. The entire brake assembly with an upgrade to self-adjusting brakes (Dexter 3,500 lb Axle NEV-R-Adjust 10" x2-1/4 Electric Brake Kit-both left & right hand sides) is $179 on Amazon right now (the regular, not self-adjusting electric brake kit is cheaper). I think the brake shoes alone would cost $40 or so for both wheels and the replacement and adjustment looks a bit more complicated to me. There is an excellent video showing the replacement procedure on the e-trailer site: https://videos.etrailer.com/static/images/video/install-dexter-nev-r-adjust-electric-trailer-brakes-left-right-23-468-469.webm
    Downers Grove, IL
    2017 T@B S Max, Blue and Silver -- "The Blueb@rry"
    States Visited Map
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 282
    @FishDoctor I read on the etrailer web site that the thickness (new) of the lining is 3/16 inch. Mine are a little over 2/16 (1/8) inch so they aren't too worn yet so I postpone new brakes. I agree about replacing the whole assembly and thanks for the video link. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    @jimcenname -- Makes sense for you to wait since your brake pads still have plenty of life in them. I'll be doing the brake assembly replacement and repacking bearings on my T@B later this month.
    Downers Grove, IL
    States Visited Map
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 435
    If you shop a bit you will find that replacement brake pads will cost less than $40.00 per side. These are parts that are easily replaced. A spring tool can be helpful (NAPA) but is not essential.
    When you buy shoes, a local trailer shop or an automotive parts shop will save you the transport costs you might be trying to avoid with your Prime account.
    What a replacement assembly does not do for you is to address any issues you might have with the drums. If the pads did not seat properly, if the brakes were not correctly adjusted or if the rear seal allowed grease to enter into the hub you will need to do one of the following, clean and replace, clean turn and replace or if they are really bad, replace. 
  • PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    May I suggest taking photos before you tackle the job?
    Great idea, it certainly helps with reassembly.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    tabiphile said:
    If you shop a bit you will find that replacement brake pads will cost less than $40.00 per side. These are parts that are easily replaced. A spring tool can be helpful (NAPA) but is not essential.
    When you buy shoes, a local trailer shop or an automotive parts shop will save you the transport costs you might be trying to avoid with your Prime account.
    What a replacement assembly does not do for you is to address any issues you might have with the drums. If the pads did not seat properly, if the brakes were not correctly adjusted or if the rear seal allowed grease to enter into the hub you will need to do one of the following, clean and replace, clean turn and replace or if they are really bad, replace. 
    All good points. I was thinking it would be $40 or less total (both wheels) for the brake pads. I totally agree that there may be other issues in the hub that could need to be addressed -- hopefully I won't run into anything that requires replacement, but will be sure to examine them.
    Downers Grove, IL
    States Visited Map
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 646
    I think just replacing the brake shoes, verses the entire assembly, is the way to go.  That way you aren't having to bleed the brakes.

@jimcenname
    I would investigate the wear on the inside of the drum face from contact with the electric brake actuator.  I don't believe you should be having contact there.  Maybe contact NuCamp or eTrailer to confirm.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    edited April 2022
    Horigan said:
    I think just replacing the brake shoes, verses the entire assembly, is the way to go.  That way you aren't having to bleed the brakes.

No hydraulic lines to bleed on my T@B because they are electric brakes. Shouldn't be any on your T@B 400 either since all the newer T@Bs have electric brakes.
    Downers Grove, IL
    States Visited Map
    Horigan said:

No hydraulic lines to bleed on my T@B because they are electric brakes. Shouldn't be any on your T@B 400 either since all the newer T@Bs have electric brakes.
    Doh!  ( 8(|)    I was thinking of my boat trailer brakes.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
    @jimcenname
    Thanks Jim!  I didn't realize that.  Obviously I haven't had my drums off yet.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    When towing our 2019 T@B400 last year constantly overheated the driver's side wheel, we had our local trailer experts look at the brakes.  They had done the bearings earlier and we knew that wasn't the issue. They adjusted the brakes and still problem.  Voltage to the brakes checked out.  They also found that the brakes on our T@B were not the standard Dexter 3500# but in fact a larger 4000#.  We elected for replacement of both drums and pads even though the shop confirmed that the original brake pads showed little wear ( 11,000 km).  That fix required  a special order to the east coast stateside and costs which at the end of the day came to over $1000. parts and labour.  Still ended up with a heating problem which seems to have been resolved with a switch out of the brake controller module and new emergency switch ( the pin on the old one was impossible to pull out - fused in place) as our tow of 220 km this past week was cool.  So if anyone has use for two Dexter drums complete with brake pads and magnets please contact.  We are in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and shipping is not an option.  
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI