Options

Repair or replace?

We picked up our 2019 400 BDL this morning from its winter storage at our local county fairground.  They apparently had a break in and some vandalism with damage to a few campers and boats.  Our airconditioner grate got pushed in and the Keder rail towards the back has been hit.  The good news is neither of these look too serious.  Except for the cosmetic aspect, nothing here will keep us off the road from camping.  I'm inclined to fix both of these repairs myself rather than going to a dealer or a body shop.  Has anyone here done repairs like these before?  Would you suggest ordering new parts and replacing the damaged components or do you think it will be possible to take these apart and straighten them out with a little careful work using a rubber mallet and some wooden blocks?
Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    If it were me I would try to repair the AC grill myself.  I think the mallet and wooden blocks would work if you are careful and go about it slowly.  Some paint and caulk and it would be good as new.
    The keder rail is a different matter.  That might be trickier to get the correct shape.  If you don't use that part of the keder rail (it doesn't look like you do since the black insert is still in place and I've never heard of anybody actually putting anything there anyway) I would probably just leave it alone.
    In any case, if you are marginally handy it would be worth a try.  The worst that could happen is that you end up ordering replacement parts anyway.
  • Options
    I know that grate is pretty expensive.... well a black one is. I replaced all the white components with black ones on my 2019 and I ended up painting the white one black. I don't remember the price but it was well over $200. 

That's a real bummer though.  I'm so sick of criminals!  
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    @DanManz "Repair or replace?

Don't forget there is the ignore option. ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited April 2022
    You may be able to fix the AC grate to a level that is acceptable. I don't think you can ever get the keder rail to look good again, or at least I know I can't. I am blessed with many skills, but body work isn't among them!

@TabbyShack, unfortunately we haven't seen the worst of "criminals". Just wait....

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    @MuttonChops-Don't forget there is the ignore option.   I don't know why I didn't think of that as it is my most common approach!  

In a quick follow up, the local police called me yesterday.  They are investigating this incident and wanted to get an estimate of the damage to our trailer.  I now plan to send the photos to my dealer and find out what all the parts will cost for replacement.  From there, I will see what I can do to smooth out what I have.  If it looks ugly or I make it worse, I will just go ahead and order the replacements.  Thanks to all for your wisdom and consideration of how to approach this little bump in the road.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    The rubber mallet and wooden blocks idea should do a pretty good job of straightening out the grille.  I'd practice with the mallet on the perps head first 8^D.   The keder rail is another thing.  You could make it functional by removing the insert and gently working the aluminum back toward its original shape and then file off the sharp edges.
    I guess it depends on what you can live with, I'd have to give it a good try but then that's me 8^)
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    I've repaired a keder rail with pliers and a file.  It looks fine and the awning slides on it easily.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA