Options

Score! Solar Panel on CL

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I scored a minor coup this week when I scored a Goal Zero Escape 30 panel (no longer made) on CL for about 1/4 of the going rate. You can still find them on eBay and from some retailers, but for a lot more money. There are bigger panels an d you can get other brands cheaper, but the GZ quality is, in my view, significantly higher than others and generally lighter weight. Altogether, I am up to 120. It was cranking out 13.9-14.07 this afternoon in full soon. Not to shabby for one of the cloudiest cities in the world!

I really like the Escape briefcase design with the built in legs. If I could find a couple more deals like that, I would snag them.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Patti said:
    Awesome! We haven't pursued solar yet but it's on our list. Even though the T@Bs are Zamp-ready, that doesn't limit us to have to use Zampf
    No, not at all. I have90 watts running through the Zamp connector and 30 amps through alligator clips. The GZ Guardian controller is a max 90 watt input, or I would run them all through the Zamp. As a matter of fact, I may install a second Zamp so that I can just plug in. The Zamp connector on the T@b just takes a standard 2 pin SAE connector.

I have been collecting the GZ panels dirt cheap or else I might have gone with Renogy. Even if I switch over to Renogy, I will probably hang on to these for smaller stuff or mount to the rack of my Jeep.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Wow - that's a lot of stuff to set out for 120w - I'll stick with my single suitcase Zamp120 even though it may have cost me more ;-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Wow - that's a lot of stuff to set out for 120w - I'll stick with my single suitcase Zamp120 even though it may have cost me more ;-)

It takes less than a minute. I will eventually get a more compact, bigger solution, but will stick with my bargain set-up until I decide what I want to do.

• Options
    It is amazing how you can get a pretty good charge even if it's overcast - as long as it isn't black skys. I've even gotten a trickle at night with a full moon.
  • Options
    Yeah, even the watt trickle charger always surprises me.

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    If the controversy concerning the Zamp is just the price, then it might be helpful to know that one can purchase from the LG site using the LG dealer discount, if their dealer offers it.  120w Zamp suitcase for $450, delivered to my door, $300 for the 80w suitcase.  I opted for the 120w only because I didn't know my needs.  I probably could have gotten by with the 80w, as I am not a high user of electric.  I am more than pleased with the performance and the simplicity of the Zamp.  
  • Options
    I doubt LG will allow others to purchase at the dealer discount rate. Your dealer gave you a special deal.

• Options
    Well, you may be right, but now they know to ask.  
  • Options
    Jenn - I'm betting it's up to the dealer, not LG. My dealer made me a package deal that included a whole bunch of stuff (including solar) for roughly the price I see people buying just the T@B.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - I'm betting it's up to the dealer, not LG. My dealer made me a package deal that included a whole bunch of stuff (including solar) for roughly the price I see people buying just the T@B.
    That's what I meant. Poor wording.

• Options
    Ahhhh.
    I basically told my dealer what all I wanted - basically I wanted everything and to be able to roll off their lot prepared to do serious camping and boondocking. This forum was instrumental in helping me make that list. Down to a hitch lock. Dealers not only buy wholesale from LG, they have camping catalogs containing everything you'd ever dream of. The only thing they couldn't get at wholesale was my Honda generator.
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    That's good to know gooselady, I got my T@B from the same dealer a few weeks ago. I got a killer deal on the T@B.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Good for you, kybob.  Were you able to improve the internet price?  I also went through the dealer to purchase the cover, at around $350.  I might order the visor in the future, to provide shade on the off-side of the T@B.
  • Options
    c0boyc0boy Member Posts: 2
    For affordable and high quality solar panels check out Renogy panels.  When I bought my Goal Zero Yeti 400 I found the Renogy to be larger than putting three Goal Zero panels together and also slightly larger (90 vs. 100).  The one I have is a suitcase folder.  
  • Options
    c0boy said:
    For affordable and high quality solar panels check out Renogy panels.  When I bought my Goal Zero Yeti 400 I found the Renogy to be larger than putting three Goal Zero panels together and also slightly larger (90 vs. 100).  The one I have is a suitcase folder.  
    I have had both and like them both. The GZ panels are very lightweight. The hard-sided Renogy panels are not. :) I had 200W watts of Renogy hard sided panels and they were big and heavy. I picked up a 50w Renogy to strap to my TV roof rack for extra help charging while driving. That being said, Renogy is a lot cheaper.

• Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    The Renogy's are probably cheaper because you're not paying for the portability of the GZ panels.  Just my two cents...

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    BrinyacBrinyac Member Posts: 5
    Two, 30-watt GZ panels for sale in North Bay Area. $130 for one or $250 for both.  Good deal, jkjenn?
    2005 Inevit@ble, 2006 4runner
  • Options
    OK deal, not great. I paid $50 for my 30 watt. Of course, we don't get a lot of sun out this way. :D