Options

I went to buy a Bambi 16 today...........but...

Loved it, a 2006 16' Bambi International.  Everything looked good until I reached under front dinette and pressed on the floor...squish, squish.....squish.   I called my local repair shop, just to check the floor the entire aluminum underbelly must be removed by drilling out all the rivets to remove it.  Then, if necessary the entire wood floor in the rig must be replaced. It turns out the rivets are special aircraft type with the closest place than can install them being 100 miles away......oh well

This is not an uncommon problem in these things. 

Our T@B's may have some problems but they are very minor compared to some of the other rigs out there.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Oh come on Rad, just pop for a brand new shiny one ;-)
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I was looking online at new Airstream Bambi's. Not only are they much more costly than a T@b, they are heavier enough that a larger tow vehicle would be needed. The bed in the Bambi is much smaller. The shower and toilet appear to be no larger than the T@b. The big advantage would be to have a sitting/eating area that is always set up and not have to convert the bed area back and forth. If I were going to move up in size I would want one of the larger Airstreams, say the 23 ft or 25 ft models since I would also have to buy a truck or larger tow vehicle. By then the cost to me (of new trailer and TV) would be about $100K so I might as well just buy a nice mid-sized motor home. Oh well, I guess when I hit the lottery I can indulge these ideas a bit more. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    vito said:
    I was looking online at new Airstream Bambi's. Not only are they much more costly than a T@b, they are heavier enough that a larger tow vehicle would be needed. The bed in the Bambi is much smaller. The shower and toilet appear to be no larger than the T@b. The big advantage would be to have a sitting/eating area that is always set up and not have to convert the bed area back and forth. If I were going to move up in size I would want one of the larger Airstreams, say the 23 ft or 25 ft models since I would also have to buy a truck or larger tow vehicle. By then the cost to me (of new trailer and TV) would be about $100K so I might as well just buy a nice mid-sized motor home. Oh well, I guess when I hit the lottery I can indulge these ideas a bit more. 
    I know this is why many people really want to see the T@B 400 come to the US as it would have the separate bed and eating area and sleep more.   But would be the quality of T@B, weigh less, and would cost less than an Airstream.  Maybe some day.....LG/PV will make wishes come true.
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Rad said:
    Loved it, a 2006 16' Bambi International.  Everything looked good until I reached under front dinette and pressed on the floor...squish, squish.....squish.   I called my local repair shop, just to check the floor the entire aluminum underbelly must be removed by drilling out all the rivets to remove it.  Then, if necessary the entire wood floor in the rig must be replaced. It turns out the rivets are special aircraft type with the closest place than can install them being 100 miles away......oh well

Our T@B's may have some problems but they are very minor compared to some of the other rigs out there.

We have wanted a vintage camper prior, but this is why we never got one.  Do not want to deal with these issues.  Quality of the T@B is superior.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Rad said:

We have wanted a vintage camper prior, but this is why we never got one.  Do not want to deal with these issues.  Quality of the T@B is superior.
    No question about it, T@B quality is very superior.  The other problem is the absolutly stunningly beautiful exterior that is completly antiquated technology.  Popping rivets is not uncommon and leaks are not uncommon.  The folks that have the Airstreams sure do love them. There is a lot to love.  

An earlier comment about the Bambi bed being smaller is not the case, it is much longer.  

And true, the comment about a separate bed and eating area being important.  That and standing headroom is what I'm looking for, but I don't want anything longer.  Not many rigs fit that criteria.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2015
    I think if I needed more room, I would keep the T@B (which I love), and purchase the new LG truck camper, and use both at the same time.  Silly, I know, but the hubby loves truck campers, and we already own the truck...  Just a thought.