Options

Fresh water pushing out glycol from the Alde

2»

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,214
    Regarding what @Etheridges has going on, I wonder if the bung that plugs the glycol’s main drain line has sprung a leak? Aside from a catastrophic break in the Alde’s glycol lines, there’s no reason there should be glycol spilling under the trailer in that location. A breach between the water and glycol lines would remain contained within those two systems unless somebody opened a drain on either the water or glycol side.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    If the Alde isn't running and the trailer stationary, the normal escape routes for glycol would be hardly possible.  The Alde "auto air bleed" valve would eject glycol out of the "plug" in the floor under various circumstances.  The Alde expansion tank "vent tube" could also spill glycol out the plug in different ways.
    And, correct, the only other spot that Alde glycol could drop would be the Alde drain, if the plug were missing.
    If we are confusing "glycol" with winterizing "antifreeze", any of the low point drains could be the culprit here, depending on how the trailer was winterized.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @manyman297 "A breach between the water and glycol lines would remain contained within those two systems"
    From my experience this is not the case. I had a breach between the water and glycol chamber. When I turned the water pump on, the water pressure caused the water to enter the glycol chamber through the breach, and through the path of least resistance push the glycol to the expansion tank and through the vent tube onto the ground.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,214
    @webers3 I can see that happening but I assumed what @Etheridges was experiencing was through another drain tube since the glycol vent tube is usually a clear tube. @Etheridges mentioned it was a black tube so I assumed they were referring to maybe the glycol main drain with the bung in it.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    2Campingfools2Campingfools Member Posts: 3
    Yup me too!! I have a 2021 320CSS and started dumping glycol from the expansion tank over flow tube when water system was pressurized. Going to take the ALDE apart and find the leak, I'll let everyone know what I find. Great thread here with valuable info, thanks all!!
  • Options
    fineline72fineline72 Member Posts: 11
    I was asked in a direct message about the status of our Alde. After re-welding the Pinhole leak in our tank, everything has been as good as new, or maybe better :-)

If you have this problem and know someone who can TIG weld stainless steel, it was a simple fix with basic hand tools and a little time. 

Jerod and Rebecca - 2016 T@B 320 CS-S