Options

Protecting Windows While Trailer is Covered

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
Just wanted to give anybody interested a heads up. There has been concern about covers scratching windows. Some have gone as far as to cover the windows with a special film used on new cars during transport before covering their campers.

This past fall I simply applied Saran Wrap over the windows before covering. Just pulled the cover off today and the Saran Wrap was intact and the windows were totally protected. Cheap and easy if you’re the cautious type.
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    Love it! Will be doing this today! Yes the covers did scratch the windows pretty bad on my 2019 and also rubbed silver finish off part of tail lights. I reluctantly covered my 2022 400 for the first time about two weeks ago. Already saw scratches in just two weeks. I was trying to think of something to use before it gets worse. This is perfect! 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2022
    You can get 24" wide rolls of wrap at U-Haul that they sell for packing.  Makes the task of covering the windows much easier.  Meguiars sells a plastic polish (#10) or plastic cleaner (#17) that I've used to buff out scratches from the first time the cover when on without film.  Using the just cleaner with a DA polisher got out all the fine scratches.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited April 2022
    Question: do you only wrap the outside of the window I guess? It will interfere with the seal if you wrap all the way around I assume? 
  • Options
    I just put it on the outside with painters tape around the window on the top and sides.  I leave the windows at the cracked setting during storage, so I don't tape the bottom.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited April 2022
    In see now that I'm out here doing it that you can wrap it under the outer edge without interfering with the seal.  This is really easy.  When I close window it locks it in place. But I added a little painters tape (also great suggestion)   So glad you posted this because I've been hating the thought of new camper windows scratching like old 400.  I can't reach the rear window without a ladder (too much effort without removing cover) so that one will go unprotected for now. 
  • Options
     B) 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    Horigan said:
    You can get 24" wide rolls of wrap at U-Haul that they sell for packing.  Makes the task of covering the windows much easier.  Meguiars sells a plastic polish (#10) or plastic cleaner (#17) that I've used to buff out scratches from the first time the cover when on without film.  Using the just cleaner with a DA polisher got out all the fine scratches.
    Thanks for the tip about the uhaul wrap. We had some significant wind storms this winter and our cover definitely got a workout and no scratches.

I just wrapped the wrap around the edges of the windows so you can crack them if needed.

It’s a little extra work to cover the windows but a lot better than the alternative of scratching them. Just glad I don’t cover it year round…would be a nightmare.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Thanks to all above. Never thought what to do. Many years of restoring 3 Vintage trailers, one a big shiny polished thing.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country