Options

Tesla model Y. Installation of hitch anti-rattle clamp. Woohoo. It works.

ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
Howdy folks. Today’s project was to quiet down the noisy hitch receiver ball mount thingy. There is always some play in these things and every stoplight you can hear the clunk as it moves in the receiver. I wanted to use one of these.

But the Tesla wasn’t cooperating as the bolts impacted with the plastic at the bottom of the bumper hitch opening. So, headed back to Canadian tire and got this style.

Except without the lock as it would impact with the 7 pin connector. They are available with and without the lock. And the one without the lock is 20 bucks cheaper.

Really easy to put on although you’ll be on your back to do it. And you’ll need a 7/8 inch wrench. Tighten it down good and it will work well. No more noise. Woohoo  Here’s a shot of each side. Tight quarters but not a problem.

Only downside is you won’t be removing it fast as you need the wrench and a couple minutes. Worth it to us for the silence. And we tow our little RV a lot so we leave it on all the time anyway.

Sorry. The safety chain quick links are blocking the shot a bit.

And of course the obligatory shot of Jarvis our Tesla and T@Betha our T@B 400 and our newest favourite provincial park, Mabel Lake Provincial park in B.C. Kinda nippy this type of year. Below freezing every night. But what a gorgeous spot.  

Hopefully somebody finds this useful.

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    I love your trailer and TV setup!  Just curious on how far you can tow the 400 with the Tesla.  I know there are many environmental factors involved on it (wind, hills etc) but just curious on how far you can generally go. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    HI Bergger. We count on losing about half our range, but like you said it changes a lot. On our last trip we made a return trip of about 140 kilometres to Mabel lake provincial park. All secondary highways with a max speed of 80 kmh and many times less. For that we used half our battery. Speed is the big factor. 

Hope that helps. 
  • Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 47
    I fixed our loose hitch rattle by wrapping the ball mount with a layer of duct tape.
  • Options
    Towhee said:
    I fixed our loose hitch rattle by wrapping the ball mount with a layer of duct tape.
    Seriously. Is there anything duct tape can’t fix?  😊. 

I know a guy who taped large washers on the ball mount shaft. Worked not too bad. 

Cheers. 
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited April 2022
    I am curious @Viajero how you are considering the towing capacity of the Model Y.  I really like that car, but the Tesla owner’s manual online says the maximum tongue weight for trailer towing is 100 kg (220 pounds), and items in the car reduce the tongue weight it can carry.  My 400 weighs 2960 lbs empty, and the tongue weight is 460 pounds.  It’s a cool looking setup, but I’m concerned you are seriously over the ratings of that car.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    TNOutback said:
    I am curious @Viajero how you are considering the towing capacity of the Model Y.  I really like that car, but the Tesla owner’s manual online says the maximum tongue weight for trailer towing is 100 kg (220 pounds), and items in the car reduce the tongue weight it can carry.  My 400 weighs 2960 lbs empty, and the tongue weight is 460 pounds.  It’s a cool looking setup, but I’m concerned you are seriously over the ratings of that car.
    You might be looking at something different. The towing capacity of a model Y is 3500 pounds and max 350 hitch weight. Our trailer fully loaded with water and beer is about 3450 pounds and the hitch weight is 340 pounds. Both scaled. We are also under the GVWR of the car. It’s all good. We use a Tekonsha brake controller. 

Items in the car don’t subtract from a vehicles hitch weight. They do need to be taken into consideration when insuring the vehicle weight is under the GVWR.  The best way to check that is a highway scale. It’s all good. We are a few hundred pounds under when fully loaded. 

It’s a great combo. 447 horsepower and about the same torque. Low centre of gravity makes for a nice towing experience. 

Cheers. 
  • Options
    aphillipsaphillips Member Posts: 27
    @Viajero I'd appreciate any feedback you have about towing in the mountains with the Y. Thanks. 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    We are currently on a month long tour thru BC including the island, manning park etc. Not much to pass on. It tows like a beast and is excellent downhill as well with regenerative braking. Was there anything specific you had concerns about?  
  • Options
    Viajero said:
    We are currently on a month long tour thru BC including the island, manning park etc. Not much to pass on. It tows like a beast and is excellent downhill as well with regenerative braking. Was there anything specific you had concerns about?  
    We are going to get a new tow vehicle after this season and are interested in something electric. My sister and her husband have a Y and 3 and love them. We live in Kansas and will be towing in the Colorado mountains a lot. Just want to confirm the Y can handle that. Many people say you should have significantly more towing capacity than the weight of your trailer. That is not the case with the Y, but that suggestion might be based on old technology/car design information. Thanks! 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    @Viajero
    I'm curious what the range is on the Y, with and without towing.  Can you share that with us please?
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @Horrigan Assume you don't charge over 90 percent and want a reserve of 20 percent at your destination (pretty conservative), you will have about 210 miles to work with.  When towing figure about 30 to 50 percent reduction in available miles depending on terrain, weather, etc.  Your range when trailering will be 105 to 150 miles.  Absolutely zero problem here in the Pacific Northwest.  As to performance, the model Y treats the Cascade mountains like a sea level plain.
  • Options
    Towhee said:
    @Horrigan Assume you don't charge over 90 percent and want a reserve of 20 percent at your destination (pretty conservative), you will have about 210 miles to work with.  When towing figure about 30 to 50 percent reduction in available miles depending on terrain, weather, etc.  Your range when trailering will be 105 to 150 miles.  Absolutely zero problem here in the Pacific Northwest.  As to performance, the model Y treats the Cascade mountains like a sea level plain.
    This is helpful! Just to confirm...are you towing a 400? 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    edited June 2023
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    Thanks @Towhee for the info.  Always wondered what the range decrement was when towing with an EV.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA