Options

"SH" (Short) Error Coming from Tekonsha Prodigy P2

Well, wouldn't you know it!  Trailer all loaded and checked out for first trip of year. Last thing is connecting trailer. Although everything between truck and trailer connection was fine on last trip in Fall, suddenly we're getting the blinking "SH", indicating a short somewhere. No brakes and the only shops around are very downhill.
Cleaned and recleaned prongs on either side of plug, nothing. Put a tiny bit of dielectric lubricant on male ends, nothing. Called the Tekonsha tech folks and would need an incandescent tester to even get started (don't have, but do have multimeter).
Has anyone bumped into this? We could take TV to town and have it checked out. If short is between cord end and trailer's brakes, I guess we would have to get someone who does house calls? Thanks for any advice!
2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM

Comments

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    I doubt this would be a contributing factor. Between last trip and now a major electrical unit was removed and a new one was installed elsewhere in trailer by highly skilled NuCamp Technician. That's all 120V. 12V TV plug looks like it leads to a black rectangular wiring hub by spare tire. No apparent rodent damage anywhere that I can see.
  • Options
    Yep exact same thing happened to me.  I have same brake controller and got same message for my 2019 400. The 2019-2021 models have been known to have brake lines that are too long and rub on the tire. Look underneath by the tire find the brake lines to see if you can see a frayed or severed brake line. 
  • Options
    How capable is your tow vehicle? If you are not under powered or undersized you can easily tow safely to get trailer repaired if that is the source. The T@ b is pretty light and if you take your time and take it easy I would not hesitate to tow it in for service.  Can you believe mine actually failed literally on my way for service! I got there and said please add brake work to my list of work! 
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I had the same thing and it was eventually found to be the connector for the right brake light on the Tab's 7-pin.  Get yourself a 7-pin tester from Amazon like a Curt 58271 to rule out the tow vehicle as the culprit. Since you already did some cleanup, try a hair dryer to dry things out on the Tab end...and jiggle it when connected. I did move up to a Prodigy RF and saw the same issue one time. Cleaned and dried it the same way.  Blame the Tab. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Thanks @TabbyShack and @NorthIsUp! Imperfect troubleshooting because we saw some copper on the brake wire line that couldn't be attributed to rubbing or rodent. But that didn't end up being the issue. Neighbor electrician tested wiring front to back and in the end it seems like the trailer end of the 7-wire plug no longer fits tight enough into the truck's plug end. Had to wedge it with toothpicks, but made both ends of trip to Cochise Stronghold in AZ Dragoon Mountains.
    I think 3rd season is the tough one for nuisance problems. Mouse did get into opening in frame and chewed up the fresh water tank sensor wires. Also have a water leak in Alde area that seems to only be happening with system under pressure. Will troubleshoot that before draining fresh water tank and hot water tank. It's always something!
  • Options
    Yikkes! Glad to hear the brake issue is not serious. Hum mice.....haven't given that any thought! Guess I better but I feed stray cats near camper so guess that's why I never had any mice issues!