Options

The perfect modification for a future T@b to make it just about perfect!

About the only shortfall for the T@b is also its greatest strength, i.e., its small size and low weight. But what if a T@b had the equivalent of a slide-out? Not on the sides as most RV slideouts are, but where the entire rear of the trailer would slide out from a point just to the left of the opening of the door. The T@b would be the same length as it currently is when being towed or stored, but when stopped for camping it would "slide out" backwards to create about 2 feet of additional floor space to move around in. I doubt that it would need to add significantly to the weight of the T@b but would make it much more livable and comfortable when set up. Just a thought.
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    So true! Although, I must admit we've been dreaming of a side bed area slide-out too that wiuld make side-to-side sleeping possible for taller folks (and thereby make a CS option available to them too). 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    In order to make that type of slide usable, you would have to increase the overall height. I think if they ever get into slideouts, side slideouts like the Rpods have would be the way to go.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Patti said:
    I've read that the guys who work on RVs consider slide-outs are repairs just waiting to happen.
    I can believe that. I would not blame LG if they never implemented them.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I think so too. But, we can keep dreaming of a wider T@B where taller people can fit side-to-side...and be able to sleep in a CS model.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Every time I've stopped at an RV repair place, what were the working on? - Slideouts.
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    When I first started RVing, I purchased a small trailer. I needed more room, so started buying bigger and bigger to get the room and features I "thought" I wanted. Well here I am back to a small, usable RV that fits my needs to a tee. Everything people have on their wish list is available already if you look at other RVs!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Maybe a larger T@B would be the answer for some folks, but slide outs do add weight , and have sealing issues, and jam up. Lets keep it " T@B simple."
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2015

The simplicity of the T@B, or having fun with the challenges it presents, is what makes it appealing to me! I've been in many situations where a T@B would have been a complete & welcome luxury.

When I finally hit the road to see this AWESOME NATION up close & personal, I'll be glad to do so with a T@B! Easy to tow, setup, takedown. Will be just right (I HOPE) for me!

Adding simple gizmos/gadgets, making do, will be part of what will be an awesome journey!

IMPROVISE. ADAPT. OVERCOME. ENJOY!

• Options
    Well said, Sgt! We also enjoyed the very process of figuring out what can be done and how within the space limitations of a t@b. We learned to cherish and appreciate simplicity, which actually does not necessarily means that we have to sacrifice much, if at all, in terms of comfort and enjoyment.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I would not want a slide out.  It would be something else to break, and I don't know that it would add really anything additional.  Just too complicated.

An American 400 is about as big as I would like to go, just big enough to separate the sleeping area from the seating area, which would be nice.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    IMPROVISE. ADAPT. OVERCOME. ENJOY!

Yep, and that takes time and many campouts. Until you're actually out in the wild you can only think, noodle, surmise and plan so much. I'd warn anyone waiting on their T@B or who have just gotten them but not been out much to save your mental energy as things will change as you do it. There's not much I preplanned that is still left standing here 10 months and 12k miles later and I'm still making small adjustments :-)
  • Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    to late--there is one already made in Canada called "alto" the entire rear extends and comes up. real nice unit but sort of pricey. looks just like a teardrop and almost the same size.
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    The Tada was kind of like the TAB but bigger... I don't know why they stopped making it...
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I saw a video of the Gidget. It's Australian. Slides out in the front. Check it out.
    Martha in Pittsfield, VT w/Mahit@ble
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    I want the replica Sydney Opera.

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Tweedrvr said:
    I saw a video of the Gidget. It's Australian. Slides out in the front. Check it out.
    Martha in Pittsfield, VT w/Mahit@ble
    Have seen these videos on Youtube and totally wish T@B could do this.....it would be so cool, just gives a little extra space. Australia has some of the coolest smaller off-road campers I have ever seen online.
  • Options
    OzT@bOzT@b Member Posts: 39
    R&D, we have many cool things here in Australia  :)
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    Kangaroos! I don't think anything is cooler than Kangaroos!
  • Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    Having my clamshell kitchen does give that extra space! Park, open, enjoy and watch everyone struggle with their (inevitably leaky) slideouts. Week 2 in my CS S with 2 big dogs and an 11 year old. 
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Do NOT try to make it perfect all at once!! 8 years and I'm still making living and storage adjustments. Also many things in my attic bought and discarded. The best thing you can do is empty it to the bare wood at least once a year, (clean and inspect everything) and get rid of things you don't use.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    sgttiki said:
    Kangaroos! I don't think anything is cooler than Kangaroos!

The University of Akron Zips, agree: