Options

Anyone have GPS locators or an AirTag for security?

CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
Just got an AirTag which claims to allow you to see where you're camper is located if another IPHONE comes close to it. Theft deference. Size of a half dollar.
2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
North Georgia

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I have a gps tracker, the Spot Trace. An AirTag requires connectivity and that’s not always available in parts of the country, which is why I went with gps. I’m not fond of the annual fee however… I hope your AirTag works well for you as it’s a great idea!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The only drawback is that if the thief has an iPhone, they'll be alerted that there's an "AirTag Found Moving With You", with an option to turn on the AirTag's beeper.

I wish there was a way to disable that alert. I'd use one to track the creep that's stealing my USPS packages.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SolidCamperSolidCamper Member Posts: 20
    Hi All. I use an AirTag on my Tab, but honestly did not know about the thief being able to turn on the beeper. I had heard that some stalkers use AirTags without victims knowing, whereby stalker hides an AirTag somewhere in the victim's car. So Apple may have designed the system to alert the victim that they are being stalked. Crazy world we live in. After writing this, I read the following article. (It's kind of like Spy vs Spy) :)

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/18/1080944193/apple-airtags-theft-stalking-privacy-tech
    MarvinD- Newton, MA, USA  2020 T@B 320S Boondock Lite/ TV: 2013 Chevy Avalanche 
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    Half the places I go there isn't cell service. My GPS tracker can be turned on and off by the month. Don't need to pay for it in the Winter as the T@B is stored inside a secure building.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    I've had a Spot Trace for a few years now. It is a true GPS tracker. You can get a unit for fairly cheap but the annual subscription creeps up to over $200 after the first year. But I get a notice on my cell phone as soon as the trailer moves (I keep it about an hour away from where I live).
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab