Water in the rear-right storage box (2022 400 BD)

Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 212
edited May 2022 in Trailer & Towing
Was at our camper (2022 400 Boondock)in the storage lot today, and when I went into the storage compartment to turn on the electric I noticed a small amount of water on the floor of the compartment!  I felt everywhere I could, none of the wood framing seemed even damp, the seal around the access hatch felt good, so where might this have come from?

We haven't had the chance to get out with the camper yet, so it's still winterized from when we picked it up.  We have, recently, been having some pretty decent and at times heavy rainfall, is it possible some water simply worked its' way in around the vent on that side?

I'm thinking I'm going to go back to the camper today (and of course, it's raining, although not hard) with a couple towels.  One to dry out the box, the second to lay on the floor of the box and see what happens between now and the next time we go by the camper...

(Mods: Not sure if this is the right section for this discussion, if needed move it)
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Taillights could be an intrusion point.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 212
    @N7SHG_Ham any suggestions on how to check that, much less prevent further intrusions?
    Jay and Kat
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I haven't had mine apart, but the wire does come though the outside skin behind the taillight and then is behind the back panel in the compartment. If they didn't do a good job caulking that it will let water inside the trailer. With two people, one inside and one outside with a hose selectively spray the taillight area and then the hatch area and see if water gets in.

Depending on results you might have an answer as to where to start. If it is the taillight, you will need to remove and recaulk where the wires come through.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    You could remove the rear bunk plywood cover to get access and see if it is wet under the rear area behind the storage locker.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    or, being a 2022, if the dealer is close, take it back to them to address it.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
    Horigan said:
    or, being a 2022, if the dealer is close, take it back to them to address it.
    While it's a couple hour drive to the dealer, we might go this route, just need to figure out when
    Jay and Kat
  • We're you able to look under the other bed panels? It could be the water originated on other side and ran over to passenger side if it is on a slant in that direction. 
    @TabbyShack I only lifted up the cover over the center storage space, so I don't know if it might have done that.

I've got a small shop towel in the storage box and I expect we're getting more rain tonight/tomorrow and will probably be going back by the camper this weekend to show it off to family, so if it's a leak, if expect a damp towel...

Then we'll probably call out dealer to see what they want to do.
    Jay and Kat
  • I know it's a real bummer to have even a small leak. Hope you figure it out easily. 
    @TabbyShack it's even more annoying considering we haven't been able to USE our shiny new camper yet!  :smiley:
    Jay and Kat
  • It's always harder to take when new. Somewhere between the dealership and arriving at my first camp site with mine two months later,  I had a big 6" dent on the side of front storage box. Not the same level of "bum" as the leak but still upsetting! 
  • schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 46
    My 2022 had several water intrusion points that were addressed by the dealer. Main door, AC unit and left rear wheelwell. All seem to have been fixed after dealer visit.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Have you used the outdoor shower? Ours leaks into the storage compartment, need to fix it but we just don't use it. 
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • paulgbernardpaulgbernard Member Posts: 6
    I had exactly the same issue. Water was coming in via the tail light and pooling up in the storage area.