Options

Refrigerator Running on Shore Power - Stopped Running

We have a 2014 T@B Model Q with the 3-Way (12v-110-LP) Norcold Fridge. The coach is in the driveway, plugged into the house power. The refrigerator was running just fine for a few days, then just stopped. Not sure what the problem might be. A fuse, perhaps? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers, David
2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    There are a few things to check here. Check the fuses, they are in a box under the passenger side bench. While there check that the outlet next to the fuse box has not been tripped. This sometimes happens and it shuts down all 110 power. Finally, check in the cabinet under the sink, that is where the fridge is actually plugged in, and make sure it still is.

If this fails you may be looking at making a service call.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I'm curious if the T@B isn't really level, after a long while would that cause a shutdown? My guess is probably not...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

DurangoT@B -- I'm pretty sure the fridge will run on shore power even if it is out-of-level.  If you are operating in the propane mode, T@B needs to be no more than 3-6 degrees off-level (I read that somewhere).  I have one of those small bull's eye levelers.  My T@B's propane worked even with the bull's eye bubble being a little off center. 

Rebar - Maybe you had a surge in power that tripped the fuse?

:-?
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    RebarRebar Member Posts: 29
    Good news, bad news. The good news is that the refrig is running, the bad news is I do not know why. I made sure that it's plugged in (it was, and power was at the outlet), checked the fuses (they were fine), and the GFI outlet (it was not tripped). I threw all of the breakers to off (they were not tripped either, but what the heck), and then back to on again. I turned the refrig. back on, and it is cooling now. I also checked the camper's level, and it is spot on front to back, and only slightly off on side to side level. I will continue to monitor. Many thanks to Wanderoo, DurangoTab and Cyclonic for the help. I did notice after a few hours, the refrigerator (normally silent), started making a soft whir for about 5-10 minutes. Warm air was being exhausted outside via the side vent. It stopped whirring after about 10 minutes, and went back to silent. Is that normal? Is that what it does during its defrost cycle?
    2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    The low, occasional noise is normal, and often I don't even notice it.

It may be possible that one of the breakers was not quite on, and you turning them off and then on again completed the curcuit.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

It sounds as though it is functioning okay.  After my refrig. has reached its set temperature, it is silent and I don't notice it when it kicks in to cool again. Nice.

I agree that it's disconcerting to not know why something stopped working and then started working, huh?  Keep an eye on it. Glad it is okay for now.

:(
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2014
    You might want to contact your distributor directly first, make them aware of your problem and if that doesn't resolve the issue call Ed Kauffman, Little Guy's warranty representative and speak to him as your unit is still under warranty.  They deal with these things on a daily basis and can advise and resolve your issue completely should you need a repair/replacement, etc.   At least you will have peace of mind one way or the other....  

Ed Kauffman
    Little Guy & T@B Warranty Representative
    Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers
    754 Edelweiss Drive
    Sugarcreek, OH 44681
    330.852.4811 (office)
    Email: ed@pleasantvalleytrailers.com
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RebarRebar Member Posts: 29
    Hi Mike, great idea! And thanks! I have some good news. The refrigerator has been running just fine since I resent the breakers. We are keeping an eye on it, but so far, so good. :)>-
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Did you figure out which specific breaker was the one for the fridge?
    Ours is not as cold as it was the first time we tried it... ...but then, it's 35 degrees warmer outside than the last trip.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Belay that. This morning, it was set on "stun". Plenty cold. Sure, the adjacent cabinets are a little warmer... but so glad it's working.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    I have a newly formed theory based on an experience we encountered yesterday. Our fridge has worked perfectly fine since day 1. I installed a thermometer to monitor temps and have noticed a slight variation in temps with the rotary dial in a fixed position but nothing to cause any concern. Yesterday the temperature rose about 4 or 5 degrees in the fridge without changing the dial setting. I had to ponder what would cause this to happen. Then I realized that the fridge relies on air circulation to function normally. The large white plastic vent to the right of the door has to be able to exhaust warm air to a certain degree in order for there to be proper function. We had a nearly steady 28 mph wind pressing against that side of Columbia most of the day which has the same effect as blocking off that vent. This morning, the wind died died down and the fridge temperature dropped the 4 degrees back to normal. Something maybe valid, maybe not, but I just thought that I'd mention it here  :D
  • Options
    I am contemplating rigging up some form of echaust fan option. Not sure if feasible, but I think your theory is solid as a rock.

You can look "around" the edges of our fridge, and see direct sinlight from that vent. I windor if that's supposed to be that way.