Options

The 'next' 400 Solo layout ?

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
edited May 2022 in Factory Comments
= - = Ramblings = - =
The 400-Solo was a short lived layout and I can see way . . . even as a Solo traveler for me the "solo" did not add much vs. the standard layout.

While being very happy with the 320S its not 100% ideal so there is a continuous search for other slightly roomier options.  Ideally that would be a 360/380S . . . something between the 320 and 400 . . . but since there is no such model comparing the 400 to 17-19 foot fiberglass trailer options is today's best option; as the fiberglass brands appear to be nearest nüCamp's materials & build quality.

As with other rambling posts concerning 'the next RV' a major disappointment is the lack of ALDE systems.  Only nüCamp has it across all models - - - and gosh it is a prefect RV heating system.  All the fiberglass brands run the noisy forced furnace and stand-alone hot water heaters. BigFoot has stated they have 'played' with Truma forced air / hot water unit but have no interest in the Alde.  While Escape (which has better floor-plans) is too busy designing a 'bigger' trailer then to research the Alde for older models

So nüCamp can you provide a 400-Solo with - - -
  1] No rear 'stargazer' window
  2]  A Lagun Table . . . and maybe a less curvy dinette area
  3]  An extra wide twin bed mattress with the unused 'standard 400' mattress area being some type of storage cabbies or cabinets.
  4]  No bathroom sink.

But for sure keep the HOLDING Tanks (no cassette thank you)
And do not install an Air8 air conditioner.

Done Rambling for today ;)
'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    edited May 2022
    @MuttonChops, did you doze off and lay your head on the "post" button for awhile or is there a forum system malfunction?????   8^ D

(edit) my apologies to all, there was some sort of system problem that posted his post multiple times and then there was my bad attempt at humor 8^ (      @bergger, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who witnessed it!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    What you talkin' about, @fstop32?  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    He is referencing the multiple times your thread was posted.  There must have been a dozen of them!  Apparently it has not been fix so it only shows up once. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @MuttonChops, as a solo with a dog, I liked the 400 Solo as the bed set up would be great and give a larger 12v fridge and more floor space. I too was thinking a Lagun mount table would be desirable. I like the Alde because it's a combo heat/water and can be run on electric or gas and is quiet, but don't like dealing with the glycol and it's slow to heat. I did hear the furnace on a Escape 17B and it wasn't near as noisy as I expected. I didn't find it bothersome at all and loved the quick warmth. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    I like the Alde too but I agree on the glycol and maintenance and issues that come with it.  Honestly if I had my choice I would opt for a Truma combi comfort plus unit.  If my Alde every corrodes out or just craps out someday I plan on see if I can retrofit it with a Truma unit. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We liked the 400 solo with fore-aft sleeping when set up as a double bed.  We really disliked our campers where one must crawl over the other to get out of bed at night.  We don't have to do that in our T@b 320s.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Roamy400Roamy400 Member Posts: 19
    We love our 400 Solo, and would buy it again, a few reasons:
    We don't have to climb over someone to get up in the middle of the night, or the morning.
    One of us doesn't have to sleep in the back corner tapered area.
    Larger 12 volt fridge.
    When the bed is set up, we lose access to the bottom drawer and the cabinet, this doesn't bother us too much as we travel very light and usually store setup items there or not often used items that come out when we set up.
    For us, there is more than enough storage for our 3-4 day outings.
    2020 T@B 400 Solo (Roamy)/ 2008 Tundra Limited / Nashport, Ohio