Options

New walk through by NuCamp. question..

CCCCCC Member Posts: 116

At 4:20 she says disconnect the battery because you can't charge from solar?

2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
North Georgia

Comments

• Options
    SprocketSprocket Member Posts: 46
    She says that when the switch is turned, so the battery appears on its side, it is disconnected.  When the switched is turned so the battery is right side up, the battery can be used and it will charge on solar
    Subaru Wilderness/Tab320s 2022
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited May 2022
    The panels will charge the battery whenever the panels are in the sun, no matter what the position of the switch.   The solar panels are connected directly to the battery. At around 4:49 she says the solar charges the battery "whenever it is in the sun."
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    Just as pthomas745 says.  But I also want to say do not necessarily pay attention to whether the battery is horizontal or vertical.  You want to look to see if green is showing or red is showing when the battery switch is turned.  On our 400 the disconnect switch was mounted in such a way that vertical shows green and actually turns on the power and  horizontal shows red and it is actually disconnected.  I suppose if the switch is mounted correctly it is as shown in the video but just make sure you look carefully at it when you get a new trailer in case it is mounted like ours was. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    She also said right after the comment I referenced that flipping the battery disconnect was the same as removing the terminals, thus the confusion.
    North Georgia
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I see what you mean.  Yes, if an owner decided to remove the battery cables,  nothing would charge, including the solar. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I don't think she says anything that is incorrect, but the way she states it is a little ambiguous. She says to turn the switch on so you can "charge with the vehicle, or when you're plugged in at shore power, but also with the solar panel."
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Heard back from NuCamp"Disconnecting the battery is the same as disconnecting the battery leads that are going from the battery to the trailer from the terminals. However the solar panel has a separate lead independent of the battery disconnect switch. This is where her statement goes off track. I will send this to my team to see what we can do to correct this."
    North Georgia