Options

3 Way Fridge Not Cooling Properly

Just rapped up my third trip in my 2022 400 and this time I remembered to use my fridge thermometer.  I plugged fridge in the night before and had it set on four bars over night. I loaded in my cold stuff in the am and stopped at the grocery store in route to the campground. Added alot more cold stuff.  Of course only had it on three bars while traveling on battery.  Got to my site and I hooked up to 30amp power on five bars at first then lowered to four bars after couple of hours.  Later I noticed the temp was about 50 degrees. I figured I had it too full so I put some things up in the freezer and separated things for better air flow in the fridge part.  It never got back into the safe zone.  When I went to bed I put it on five bars thinking for sure not opening it for 8 hours and on the max cold setting that it would be good, but still had 45 degrees after 8 hours and on the five bar setting.  

Outside temp over night was 60 degrees and only a high of 70 during the day and rainy. I was also level.

I have the exact same three way fridge I had in my 2019 400 and that one would freeze things on the five bar setting.

Anyone else having/had this issue?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    I'm trying to see if the little coil fan is working (there is only one. top outside vent area) but obviously it didn't cut on immediately. I'm out here waiting for it to cut on with fridge on highest setting. Wonder how long I need to wait for it to cut on or decide its broken! 

Ok been out here for 30 minutes now. Compartment where fins are located (upper outside vent area) is pretty hot. Little fan still hasn't cut on.  Thinking this might be the problem. Of course all the YouTubes I watched you could easily get to the fan from the outside to switch it out. This one looks like I will have to take fridge out. Good grief! 
  • Options
    Another update, I tested the thermistor and it is functional, so I'm back to thinking a fan failure. I wish nucamp had installed it in a location that was accessible from the outside vent.  I would like to test the fan but visibility/access is really difficult.  I will call around tomorrow and get on a two month waiting list somewhere for service.  :'(
  • Options
    Got T@bby back from service yesterday and of course they couldn't find anything wrong with the fridge. One thing though that I can't seem to get a firm answer on.  Tech said to adjust the thermostat (Norcold 4104 3-way) you move the little black clip on thermostat thingy vertically up or down on the fin its attached to (Up for colder, down for warmer), but online I'm seeing it says move it horizontal to other fins to the left or right to adjust temp.  The users manual doesn't say anything about this!

Does anyone know which is correct?
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    Could you send a photo of the "thermostat thingy"?  I didn't know there was a temperature adjustment other than the bar settings on the display.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Yes. I will! Asap! I didn't know either and couldnt find anything in user's manual. 
  • Options
    This is the thermostat thingy! Little black clip on thing but I'm getting conflicting info on how to adjust! YouTube says move left to right to adjust temp but repair guy said it moves up and down on same fin to adjust. They are a gold star certified Norcold repair facility so I guess it's up and down on same fin. 

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    Some Domestic fridges have a sticker inside indicating up is cooler and down is warmer. I suppose left/right could make a difference as well if there is a temperature difference between the sides. Somebody have a thermal imaging camera at hand ? :smiley:
  • Options
    I will look for a sticker. I'm back at camp and it's not cooling like it should.
  • Options
    No sticker. It's really bizarre that the Norcold manual says nothing about the little clip thermostat! I just read entire thing. I'm sooooo frustrated after taking it in for service 40 miles each way. Specifically asked them to check 12 volt fan in back. Went to pick it up and tech says your unit doesn't have a cooling fan! I said yes it does I have a pic of it. He says "oh"!!!!!   So of course it's still not cooling below 45 (even over night on 5 last trip) I'm finding very little or conflicting info online. 

Some videos say move thermostat left or right to adjust temp some say leave on same fin but move it up or down.

Why is it so hard to get an answer for this simple question?  I'm trying the up down method now but of course have to wait a long time before I can check it. 
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    Sorry if my post was confusing, it was merely to confirm that up/down is the generally accepted adjustment. Not that your fridge should have that label. 

Left/right is often not possible anyways because of the wire length. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Good news! I moved the thermostat "thingy" up just about an inch and in an hour I'm down to 39!! 

And now down to 35! Thank goodness! This was really upsetting me!
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    The Norcold fridge fan in my 2019 400 failed after a few months. Since it's buried behind the fridge and inaccessible I cut the wires to it and installed a high quality fan in the upper area on the fridge vent. The fridge works well, going on 3 years of full time use. BTW, I suspended it to minimize noise and vibration, it's very quiet. I also re-secured the thermocouple on the cooling vent that controls the fan. It was loose from the factory. (View to the right of the fan on the black cooling fins)
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
    Is the thermostat "thingy" only for AC or would it work for propane too? I have an overcooling problem with propane... it goes to freezing temps even when set to the smallest flame symbol.

Thanks,
    2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2022
    I started up my 3-way about 3-hours ago and it is down to 46F (outside is mid 80's and humid).  I took a thermal image (pay no mind to the spot temperature) and I am pointing to the clip on the fin which is in a "relatively" cold spot. I would have to say either moving it up or down will move it to a hotter area which should keep the cooling on longer.  In fact, it would appear that the downward direction will detect a warmer area than going up.  That being said is should probably only be moved in small - maybe 1/4" - increments to determine an optimal location.

Note: after the fridge reaches it final temperature the thermal profile may shift as everything equilibrates. Not sure whether I will be able to grab a shot before I need to shut it down.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey