Options

Washing the T@B, Best practices, Products, the ROOF!!

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
It's time for me to wash my T@B (especially since the cover failed over the winter).

I see recommendations here in the forum for Meguiar's Wash & Wax.  Sounds good.  Meguiar's website recommends using a microfiber cloth, but how do you clean the roof?  I'm looking at long-handled brushes made with micro-fiber (similar to the photo below), will that work?  Looks like this product doesn't need to be buffed like a wax, just wash and rinse.  Does it leave any residue on the black plastic trims (I have a boondock)?

What product is recommended for the windows?

Thanks!
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    I've been using that same Meguiar's for several years and love it (from recommendations here). It smells so good too. I don't notice any residue. I also bought one of those brushes a year ago and it works great. I stand on a ladder to reach the top. I tend to use the same for the windows and trim when I'm washing the trailer. When I'm not washing the trailer but want to clean the windows and trim, I use Plexus and a soft towel.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2022
    I also use Meguiar's w & w, but I still have stubborn tree sap. Prestone bug and tar remover didn't work. I just saw a suggestion elsewhere for wd40 or hydrogen peroxide. Anyone with a good recommendation?

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
    Funny, I just both of those and will be washing my 320 tomorrow. Will report back. I have used DAWN and hot water followed by half bleach and water spray and brushes to clean tree sap off my cars but not sure about using it on the 320.
    2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
    North Georgia
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    I just washed and waxed the trailer and TV after a long road trip. I used WD-40 and a soft rag on both to remove road tar with no I’ll effects. I just wiped the spot down good after removing the tar and then applied wax. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, the service tech at our TaB dealer also used WD-40, to clean sap and black window streaks on the side of our TaB, worked quite well.  Just wash and wax (optional but a good idea) after wards.  I will be doing this next week to get ready for an upcoming 6-day trip.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    I've got a stick with a pad on the end just like that. I use a paste wax in the spring for the first waxing of the season. It takes a while. I understand why many people don't do this. After that, I use Meguiar's Quick Wax every other wash to keep a good wax coating on the trailer. Bugs don't stick. I use Rain-X for the windows sometimes. Meguiar's Quick Wax on the windows where they're clean and just need a coating to keep them clean. There are many solutions.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Anybody use a foam cannon to wash their T@B?  I'm thinking it might make washing easier/faster for getting soap on, and a power washer (with lower pressure nozzle) might make rinsing easier/more effective.  The bucket & pole take a while.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    I think a foam cannon can work.  We washed ours this weekend but opted not to foam it.  I think the pressure washer and foam cannon may have used less water than the garden hose and soap bucket method we used.  Next time we'll use the foam cannon and pressure washer (with low pressure nozzle).
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    Another thread on this forum used Goo Gone to remove pine pitch on the windows with good success.
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    Try an alcohol based hand sanitizer for pine sap removal.  That works as well as anything else I have used and seems to be gentle on the surface paint.  
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I've still been using a telescoping pole with this brush/microfiber combo that I found at Home Depot a few years ago..

The brush is softer than it looks, but still helps with some debris, and I can wrap a towel over it for drying or polishing.  I plan to try a foam cannon for loosening dried-on dirt, and will try the Chemical Guys' auto shampoo called Citrus Wash.  I used to use the Nu Finish Orange Power wash, but can't find it anymore, though I continue to use the Nu Finish Once a Year Car Polish..

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    We used Camco Armada Marine Wash and Wax Cleaner.  It did a good job and the trailer looks good.  An ounce was all it took for our 320.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Most Marine cleaning products designed for fiberglass work well, after all. The outer skin of the Azdel TaB panels is fiberglass.  Fiberglass polish also works on the ABS plastic trim, most good high quality wash-n-wax products also work fine.  I would be careful about using stiff pushers on the roof, a soft split end brush used for car washes would be ok.  

The roof is aluminum, but is painted.  Also be careful washing roof top solar panels, I use the soft split end brush, after a through rinse with a spray nozzle to get any debris off the roof and panels.  Add soapy water to the brush and gently give it a wash, then rinse.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I use a typical car wash soap...bucket (but might get a foam cannon soon). Rinse bucket to keep the dirt from scratching the finish. Wax it once a year with meguiars ceramic wax and cover the plastic parts and windows with marine 303 protectant. Our trailer is uncovered so I try to be mindful of keeping it protected with some kind of product. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    Comment on removing tree sap.  Yesterday, I tried both Goo Gone and a 70% alcohol hand sanitizer solution  The alcohol solution worked best.  Turned out to be quite easy.  
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I got the Maguire's and attempted to wash my T@B 320S Boondock this summer.  Didn't do a great job -- especially the roof (I am very uncomfortable on the ladder).  Epic fail getting the stuff under the spare tire on the Yakima roof rack.

I decided to reach out to a local RV detailing company to see what they would charge me to detail the exterior -- saving me having to deal with the ladder.  They keep asking questions that I'm not sure how to answer, like if I want them to use an orbital buffer on the T@B.  Would that risk damaging the exterior surface?  Alternatively, they have a spray UV protectant.  

Thoughts?????
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    If you're experienced, as they appear to be, using a buffer is no issue.  I'm not sure I'd go with the UV protectant, unless it was not that expensive.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Well, I just used the last bit of my NuFinish Car Wash Orange Power (see above), but could not find it anywhere to order more, so I  suspect it has been discontinued.  Instead, I used @Denny16's suggestion and looked for a boat product instead.  I found a wash concentrate called "Boat Wash", whichich is also for RVs and fiberglass, so ordered some of that.  I do like the NuFinish polish, which is still available, as it's easy to use & works well.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    If it sits outside year round then I'd consider some kind of ceramic coating or, at the very least, make sure you wax it with a ceramic wax at least once a year. To my knowledge nothing beats a ceramic coating but they're expensive. 

As far as cleaning the T@B yourself, get a good lightweight extension ladder like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096ZTQW3H/ref=twister_B096ZS6NGZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think harbor freight even makes one but they're a lifesaver. Much easier and quicker than pulling out some huge, heavy steel ladder and they're tiny and take up little room. Psychologically you're more likely to clean it yourself if you know it's not going to be a pain to do it.

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I use a nice commercial fiberglass 6-foot A-frame ladder with an extendable washing wand/pole to reach the roof from the front, back and two sides.  The ladder is light and easy to setup and take down.  I also have a 10-foot version of this ladder, which is not as easy to use.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    You might consider a scaffolding they have at Harbor Freight. Easy to take down and store. I used mine to polish our former vintage Avion restoration. Believe you could get at the entire roof with one setting each side. Plus handy for a lot of jobs.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    Turtle  wax wash&shine. Tv and tab.