Options

Mattress Insider Question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
edited May 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
I have a 2022 400, and I'm ready to ditch my memory foam mattress pads (2 pads 3" each on top of factory mattress) because they just crush down when I lay on my side and I wake up with a back ache.

I'm looking at Mattress Insider. I know Full XL fits great because that's the same size mattress pads I have,  but I also cut the corner off them to fit the angled area at the foot of the bed. For those of you with a Mattress Insider mattress, how do they fit at that corner since you can't trim it? 

I would love to get the custom one with the cut already made and also have the piece over the Alde seperate so I can get in there without taking whole mattress off, but then you have no option for returning it if sleeps like a rock etc.

Another idea I had that I'm going to try today is,  I'm going to try stacking two pieces of the factory mattress and lay on that to see if that is comfortable. Then I could just order another set from Nucamp....hum.... that just might work. 

Update.... that didn't work. Was way to hard!

Comments

• Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 66
    Ordered the 8" PARK MEADOW POCKETED COIL MATTRESS II - 54" x 80" last year.  No cutting and you don’t need the custom.   It fits snugly but no problems.  We left the froli in for ventilation of the mattress, and it’s done the job so far, no mold.   It’s a bit of a wrestling match to get it in place, and easy access to the storage below is a thing of the past. You can get in to it it’s just a pain to prop it up.  taking it out of the T@b isn’t easy.  So I leave the storage below alone except for maintenance and winterization.    But a good nights sleep is priceless.  Happy with the purchase.   There is a string around here from last year regarding this. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/165779#Comment_165779
     Good luck.  
    2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    Thanks USSBird that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. So did you remove the factory three piece mattresses? I was afraid the Froli would damage a regular mattress.

Yea, easy under the bed is a really nice to have thing but I just don't see anyway to get a good night's sleep and access to the Alde compartment. Fortunately I don't need to use the under bed storage so I'm not dealing with a loss there. 

Great to know the corner isn't a problem though.  I'm a bit concerned about the wrestling aspect though. My 2022 400 has had alot of issues and I've needed to dismantle my bed far too many times in the three months I've owned it. 

In my 2019 400 I had the best of both worlds because it was pre Nautilius and I could access most things that need attention in the Alde compartment from outside! I really miss that access. 
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 66
    Yes we removed the factory mattress.  One other thing is the mattress thickness makes the person sleeping closest to the window a little closer to the ceiling.   DW does not have a problem with it, but be aware.  
    2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    I camp solo so that won't be an issue. 

Great tips!
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    We ordered the 2" mattress topper from Mattress Insider. We did not bother with the corner cutout and it is not really noticeable visually or comfort-wise.  It turned out that the mattress topper we received was not cut quite to our measurements so Mattress Insider sent a new one and told us to keep the first one.  We doubled them up and now have 2 2" toppers and it is quite comfortable.  If I was ordering again, I would likely order 2 2" toppers.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    TBurtonTBurton Member Posts: 2
    If you did not get the custom cut one and the one you ordered fit fine would you mind telling the dimensions of the one you ordered?
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited June 2023
    Before spending money on yet another memory foam mattress, consider the Exped (a perfect fit on T@B 400 bed space) https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/16091/mattress-alternative
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Before spending money on yet another memory foam mattress, consider the Exped (a perfect fit on T@B 400 bed space) https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/16091/mattress-alternative
    Worth nothing that Exped has added a few more versions to the Megamat lineup since I bought mine five years ago. There are more options for dimensions and 2 more thicknesses besides the original (10). At the REI sale last week I bought a thinner version (7.5) with better dimensions for the CS wheel-to-wheel setup. I think that even the thinner version will be plenty comfy as a topper for the factory cushions but will let everyone know if not. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab