Options

Norcold 3 way fridge: vibration leads to loose thermocouple connector...

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited July 2015 in Tips & Tricks
Heads up for those who have trouble getting their Norcold Three Way refrigerator to light...

I've found (for the second time) that the retaining nut on the thermocouple connection became loose so that the fridge wouldn't start in propane mode. Once more, I tightened the nut and it started right up for me.

And my apologies to Little Guy for having blamed "the factory" for the loose connection the first time I found it. It was likely a case of having vibrated loose over the first 700 miles it had ridden.

The connection can be found at the top of the tiny aluminum thermocouple tube, attached to the fridge controller (under the stovetop).

I applied a dab of Locktite this time. Hope it holds a little better.
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    How do you get at it, lift the cooktop?
  • Options
    Yes, it's under the stovetop.

Be sure you disconnect the electric, 12v and shore power, before taking up the stovetop. Turn off the propane too... 

There are little black rubber caps on each screw head, that also act as the bumpers for the glass range cover to rest on when it's closed, at each corner of the glass.

The stovetop is held in by 4 'toggle' type anchor screws that rotate to their 'released' position when you loosen the screws a bit. Don't try to remove the screws completely, you might lose the toggles off the ends of the screws.

Loosen each one just until it's turned free of the countertop. Then lift the stovetop gently, and set it aside carefully over the sink. The gas hose stays connected, but limits how far you can move the stovetop. Careful when you set it down, because there are some components on the bottom of the stove that may be fragile.

It's much easier to do, than to explain.

HTH
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Thanks - Hopefully I won't have to do it - Hasn't jiggled loose so far over 12K+ miles.
  • Options
    I was glad to find I didn't need to replace the thermocouple, just tighten it... 

And I'm willing to completely coat it with Locktite, if need be! (A little dab might not do me - heh)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya