Options

Norcold fridge not running on AC power

Our Norcold fridge is not running on AC / 'shore' power. I have checked the fuses, and breakers... ALL good. All other power is working fine. Funny thing is the fridge works fine on battery (also plugged into AC at the same time to avoid drawing battery down). I also cannot run Norcold on propane only; the piezo ignitor is not functioning correctly. The piezo igniter does not release itself to be able to depress, although I can pull the piezo igniter out and it seems to depress adequately.
Anyone have any ideas? Are both issues related ? Seems far fetched but could be.
How recommended is it to run Norcold on battery, while plugged into AC ??
Right now using fridge as a 'cooler' with ice.   Hmmm...
Have 2018 Outback 320S, & 3 way Norcold.
KatieMae - 2010 Toyota Tundra, 2018 T@B 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 455
    AC and gas operation are separate circuits so I can't see this being related. You should have the Norcold N180 correct ? Does the 120V light come on when you try to run on AC and the fridge is not cooling ? Or no light ? In the latter case toggle the breaker for the fridge in the power center. There is also a 3A fuse on top of the fridge but that is harder to get to. If you decide to take the cooktop off you can also check that the mode switch is working. 

The piezo lighter is nothing special and pretty much any you can find should work. 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    When you say "checked fuses" did you check the one on the top of the Fridge (under stove) ?

Here is a AC Failure Troubleshooting Flowchart:

This is just the AC Mode wiring: (diagram is in your owners manual)
    This is a helpful diagram for Top of Fridge (diagram is in your owners manual)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    For the Propane Piezo Lighter.  You should be able to replace the Front Panel Push Button.

The attached PDF file shows the Lighter as a two piece item with the Push Button (reference A (K1)) as one part.

I have not found an N180.3 match for purchasing the part online,
    however this Piezo Igniter 633998 "looks" like it should fit.

Hopefully another Forum member knows for sure.

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 455
    Don't overthink the piezo igniter, these things are ubiquitous and easy to source. You could just buy an igniter kit for a grill at Home Depot or Lowes, as long as the igniter looks the same it will work. 
  • Options
    keithk26keithk26 Member Posts: 10
    I had the same problem with my 2020 T@b 320S while under warranty - the dealership told me the T-stat was bad and had to be replaced.
    2020 T@B 320 S, 2023 GMC Acadia /w tow pkg., Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    KatieMae said:
    Our Norcold fridge is not running on AC / 'shore' power.  . . .

Forgot to ask about "Fridge is not running" - - - how did you verify that?

= =  If only by the front panel AC Plug LED light being on?

= =  Or did you have it set the Shore Power AC for a few hours and no cooling was detected?

I ask because the front panel LED (indicator) have been known to fail and the Fridge still cools.
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Ditto what MuttonChops mentioned. The units in 2018 were known to have issues with the AC indicator light burning out quickly. I replaced mine with an LED after our second trip. If it’s working on 12v it probably will work on AC. Make sure the trailer is level, not pitched up or down more than 5 degrees and monitor the cooling grills with a cheap infrared thermometer. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    chuggypigchuggypig Member Posts: 2
    Hello All.  This is my first post, but I've been following the forum since we purchased our 2019 320s last summer.  I really appreciate all the great information and ideas from everyone, so here's my small contribution...hope it helps.

I had this same problem on that same Norcold 3-way (very first repair I did) and here's what I found:

-Similar troubleshooting as in the diagram from @MuttonChops,  and assuming there is indeed AC power getting to the fridge...

-Unplugged the the wires connected to the AC heater (remove side vents and reach around in there for the wires). Used a voltmeter to see if the heater was getting power when the fridge controls were switched on.    No power in my case, at any setting of the thermostat.

-Pulled up the stove, and checked for AC power to the thermostat.  I did have power going in.

-Pulled the wires from the thermostat, and used an ohmmeter to check across the tstat contacts, with the knob in various positions. There should be a point where the thermostat closes the connection, and sends power to the heaters.  With mine, no luck.

I ordered a new thermostat, used the same ohmmeter test on the new one, and found that about half a turn on the knob was enough see the thermostat close the connection and send power.

Everything is great now. But the tinkerer in me wanted to know what was wrong with the old one, so...

There is a tiny screw on the back/bottom of the tstat that seems to set the sensitivity of control. I guess with mine, this had somehow backed itself out to the point where things never made contact.  A couple of screwdriver twists later, the old tstat behaved just like the new one.

Tighter on the screw = tstat turns power on sooner when the temp control is rotated
    Looser on the screw  = tstat turns power on later (engages when the control is closer to max cool)

I'm assuming this is how the tstat is calibrated at the factory.

Here are some pics of the thermostat assembly.
    The red arrow points to the location of the very small screw.

Anyway, maybe that helps someone out there.

Cheers

2019 320s (The Green Bean)
    Portland Oregon
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Ok, I’ll post an obvious question in a picture. I had this same problem on my March Adventure. This picture says it all. Obviously an easy fix! I had been meaning to reorganize that cupboard anyway, and now I have things arranged so that when stuff shifts in transit nothing bumps the plug from the outlet! Good luck with yours! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @chuggypigGreat First Post.  Welcome to the family
  • Options
    KatieMaeKatieMae Member Posts: 13
    Thanks to you ALL for your help and suggestions ! I will pursue. Sorry to have not responded sooner, but had a short trip planned, and just this evening returned !!
  • Options
    KatieMaeKatieMae Member Posts: 13
    Addendum:  In reply to MuttonChops and rcuomo: It is correct I have no LED light illuminating for 11O fridge operation. But I did not rely on that to determine if the fridge was operable. I left the unit on overnight, (as I usually do, before going on a trip).  That's when I wondered if it was functional on battery... which it was.
    Yes, the 110 plug under the sink was indeed plugged into the outlet.
    So... next step will be to check and replace the fuses under the stove.  (as yes, I did only ck the fuses in the fuse/ breaker box.)
    AND, ONCE AGAIN ..... THANKS TO Y'ALL for your help and suggestions !1