Options

2022 T@B 400 WDH?

I am looking to install a weight distribution hitch for my 2022 T@B 400.  I tow with a 2020 2.3L Ecoboost Ranger Lariat.  The towing has been good so far, with a bit of sway in the winds of Wyoming and Kansas.  I would feel  better with a WDH that would address both the weight distribution and the sway.  I’m looking at the Anderson system and wonder if anyone has that on their 400 and if so, which model?  I think there are specific brackets needed too.  I have an appointment next week to install my electric hitch and want to talk with them about the WDH too.  Thanks in advance.
2022 400 T@b 
2020 Ford Ranger

Comments

• Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    I have the exact same setup, 2019 Ranger Lariat and 2022 Tab 400. I bought the Anderson 3343 hitch with 4 3/8 brackets. Because the Tab frame is a "C" channel I did drill 7/16 inch holes for the set screws. Haven't adjusted for fully loaded Tab and pickup bed so can't say how it performs. Still waiting for good weather out west, arg!
  • Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    I chose to use a WDH because I added a second propane tank and two Sea Biscuit boxes to the trailer and will load the truck with two rack mount kayaks,
    2500 watt inverter generator, 5 gallon gas can, 5 gallon water can, awning, chairs, tools, sewer tote, hiking gear, etc, etc. So even with 750# hitch rating the truck bed loading  reduces that number. Want to stay on the safe side.
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    You are right about truck bed load (behind the truck's rear axle) affecting the need for weight distribution.

We used an Anderson w.d. hitch on a larger travel trailer (6,500 lbs loaded) and found its capability to actually distribute hitch weight to the truck's front axle and trailer rear axle was very poor.  The quirky design that pulls the trailer tight against the hitch connection puts a lot of stress on the coupler.  With only its two red urethane shock absorbers, there is virtually no flexibility in the hitch connection, unlike the spring bars of a conventional hitch that can also be sized and adjusted to the load.  The last straw was when we learned from Anderson that our particular coupler design (Airstream trailer) was unsafe due to the stress put on the coupler, and we needed to cut off that coupler and weld on a different one.  We ditched the Anderson "system" instead.

It did provide good friction sway control, but you can purchase a simple friction sway bar for hundreds of dollars less.  You can also purchase a conventional weight distribution hitch with sway control for less as well.
    I can't remember the model, but there is only one that will fit the late model Tab 400 and has special mounting plates to fit the Tab frame size.

I'll see if I can find the hitch model.  It has been discussed on this forum recently.

Douglas
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I believe this is the correct hitch to fit:

https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-Trunnion-92-00-0450-Distribution-Standard/dp/B00T36LT20?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

A call to Fastway may confirm that, and provide you will the correct frame mounting plates.

Douglas
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona