Options

receiver hitch drop height

Hello, I am reassessing the receiver hitch drop measurements for my TAB 400 BD and the F 150 TV. When first done at the dealer, the truck bed was empty of any cargo, but now I am towing/traveling with a full truck bed of “stuff”, and an extra propane tank and water jug on the front platform. Should I be taking the height/drop measurements when the truck bed/front platform are empty or when they are fully loaded for a trip? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    subfreq111subfreq111 Member Posts: 45
    If your truck has substantial squat, I would factor the weight of the items you will usually be carrying. The goal is for the trailer to be level or close to it under most conditions while actually going down the road. Since fuel, water level will always be variable, you can only get so close. I added sumosprings to my F150 to reduce squat and have been pleased with them. They are a closed cell urethane bumper that replaces the bump stops on the truck and provide progressive additional spring rate when compressed.
    Nick / 2018 T@B 320 S / 2010 VW Jetta TDI / Coeur d'Alene, ID
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    It is not important that single axle trailers be level, as compared to multi-axle trailers which must have equal loads on the tires.  

A little nose down is desirable with the single axle and may result in better road behavior.

But never nose up which may result in easy shifting of weight to the rear and lightening the hitch weight while on undulating or rough road surfaces, steep uphill grades, or gusting side winds. The effect may be an easily achieved sway condition and/or porpoising.

Doug

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona