Options

Battery going totally dead between camping trips?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    2 AGM's wired in parallel will get you over 200 amps.  I added AGM's because they offered location choices (inside vs. outside vehicle).  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    mash2 - But you have lots of solar also as I recall. Which came first, solar or batteries?
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    First came an AGM battery, then solar, then a second AGM battery in parallel.  
  • Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    We charge the battery at home either on shore power or with the solar panel. When not in use, we remove the fuse at the battery and store it in the T@B. That eliminates the draw from the Jensen, CO2, and other things. But we learned the hard way as well, having the battery die on us during our first boon docking trip. Live and learn. Still in love with the T@B.
  • Options
    WrossWross Member Posts: 19
    Vito,

your tow vehicle may not supply anything, it should be checked. It may also have a blown fuse.
    the shore power absolutely charges the battery, unless the fuse at the battery is blown. 30 amp fuse at the battery is needed, any less and it will blow if you use the fridge on batter power + water pump + fan ( or other combinations that exceed 20 Amps) 10 amp fuse at the battery was a mistake by someone. 
    I suggest you let the battery charge for 2-3 days (24-36 hours) or more from shore power. if it went completely dead for a few days it is time to buy a new one, it has been damaged.

the perfect, easy solution for a T@B away from hookups is a Honda eu2000i generator. Quiet, runs all night and powers your air conditioner and everything else with no issues. Solar takes work and knowledge, and changing batteries requires knowledgable hired help, or the ability to fabricate mounts, drill, wire, etc.

Our 2013 T@B S has 270 w permanently installed solar on roof, 100 watt on tow vehicle, interior solar controller that displays battery voltage and has 2 usb charging ports for our phones, ipads, etc.
    we still must have the Honda generator 'cause we cant camp in Texas without A/C in the summer, and music festivals don't have hookups. 

The solar keeps the battery charged, and we buy dry ice for the fridge for a 3 day weekend.
    we modified the A/C to make it work in 100 degree weather (similar to the fridge modification)
    we run lights, water pump, etc. on the battery and solar, and after the last band we fire up the generator, take a shower, and fall into a air conditioned slumber. Bliss