Options

Replacing the front wheel?

This might sound funny, but is it possible to replace the front wheel that you remove to two with something larger/rubber? I find myself hand-wheeling it around rougher terrain, and the wheel it comes with is really made for concrete. You can lift up with two people, but it is easier to maneuver with three wheels on the ground.

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited July 2022
    Several people including me have bought this one: https://www.crofttrailer.com/tjwk20-sff-croft-flat-free-wheel-kit-with-swivel-feature/ There’s also a DIY version, but I find it less stable when moving around than the Croft one. 

I prefer my double hard wheel from Purpleline on everything other than soft surfaces, though. Going with a bigger wheel like the Croft has disadvantages in size (storage when off the jack for towing, trying to get it on or off the jack at times) and weight. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    immanenceimmanence Member Posts: 100
    Thanks! Yeah, that one looks pretty heavy duty. It might be good for just home use though!
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited July 2022
    Honestly, if you’re moving the trailer by hand at home, I’d go straight for a trailer dolly instead unless you’re only trying to shift it a few inches. They just make maneuvering much easier. (Note: I have a powered trailer mover on mine, so I haven’t used a dolly with the Tab. I have used them in the past with other small travel trailers.)

If you find a smaller wheel option that’s good on non-concrete surfaces, please do post.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2022
    Here's what I did and it works in sand and gravel. Buy two of the tires shown below and the hardware. Then put one on each side of the existing wheel. The existing wheel is just a hair larger in diameter so it 'drives' the direction and as soon as it starts to bog down the other two tires (treaded) kick in to 1) take some of the weight off the center and 2) enable movement in sand and gravel. 

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.