Options

Solved BrakeController: Making a rapid ticking sound when TV is off and trailer harness is connected

qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
edited May 2023 in Trailer & Towing
I checked and read  lot of brake controller threads but did not see any mention of this issue, which may be specific to my TV.

I noted on the last trip we took that when the truck was switched off, a rhythmic ticking sound starts under the steering column in the region of my integrated brake controller (2016 Tundra CrewCab). About the same rhythm as the emergency flashers but not so loud. The functions of the brake controller and the braking on the trailer have not changed, but the sound is new. The ticking stops when the harness is disconnected, or when the truck is started and idling.

Folks have suggested the magnets in the brake hubs can cause this, or that there may be wiring issue in the trailer harness. I just need some ideas on where one might start to rule out things and make sure I don't have a safety situation. I have no indications on the dash that there is a malfunction when the truck is running.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

QH

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 455
    For troubleshooting purposes disconnect the trailer batteries with the switch and, assuming the trailer has a solar panel, check how it behaves at night. That will give you an idea if it is related to power somehow coming from the trailer into the brake controller. 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Hey all I neglected to share this solution to my brake controller issue above. After notifying the Toyota dealer and checking service recalls and notices, nothing seemed to fit but in a couple more weeks I got the brake controller failed warning light and it stopped functioning. There were no issues with 7 way or the trailer causing the problem.

Of course this is before a planned trip and the OEM part took 3 weeks to arrive. The swap out was easy and the new unit function is better than the old on every count.

We did that one trip in a tent and it reinforced why we got the T@B. 

Oh, and BTW the first time I feel that the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty actually worked. With that I’d have been on the hook for several hundred dollars. Free under warranty.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab