Options

Should I Remove The Battery In Storage?

I may have to store the 320S elsewhere since I live in an HOA neighborhood and I intend to cover the T@B to protect it from UV damage.  I'm wondering about the battery,  If the trailer is covered, it won't be charged via the solar panel and could lose its charge.  Any ideas on how to maintain the battery.  I hate to take it out and put it on a trickle charge unless it's absolutely necessary.  I expect it will be in storage at most a month at a time-maybe more  before I take the trailer on other trips.

Comments

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    My tab is also in a storage lot and I hooked a small trickle charger (via alligator clips) to the battery. I can still close the tub (just shut, not completely closed but no problems). My spare tire is on the front and I put the panel to the top of the spare and use parachord to secure it. It's worked well for years. And I can still cover the trailer. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,649
    If the reason is security, then take the battery out. 
    If you want to leave the battery in: charge the battery.  Turn the battery switch off.  A fully charged battery will hold a charge for months.  No need to put it on a charger, etc. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    Ah, I see what you are saying pthomas, if it'll hold a charge for months, I'll simply cover it until needed.  Thanks.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,649
    edited July 2022
    You can check out battery sites that discuss "self discharge" of the various battery chemistries, if  you want to fall down that rabbit hole.  But, generally, a lead acid battery charge will drop only 1 to 3 percent per month in storage with the switch off. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi