Options

Canopy for a T@B 320

RjPjrRjPjr Member Posts: 5
edited January 2023 in Trailer & Towing
Crazy thing occurred. 
Used my canopy for a weekend. Work well and installed without a hitch. 
The next week we went out for a week long stay in the San Juan’s. Installed the Corded rod and it did not fit as it did the week before. 

Do the nylon awning shrink? Does the fiberglass rod grow? Something happened as the rod is 2” longer or the tent is 2” smaller. 

I’m sure I can trim the rod down carefully or have another made to fit. 

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Did the fabric get wet?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Between the first and second setup ….. no
    During the second set up yes with rain and dew. 
    I’ve never experienced nylon shrinking.  Just stretching during the time of use not when packed away. 

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited July 2022
    Nylon absorbs water and expands significantly and noticeably changes size with relative humidity.  In wet, warm weather and during rain the fiberglass pole will barely be long enough to keep things taunt but will seem too long and impossible to install in cool dry conditions.  A determined effort will get the pole in place when dry by stretching the fabric a bit.  I would not make any modifications until I had more experience in different weather conditions and with some of the methods to make set up easier.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Careful, others and I have experienced those long poles breaking on that type and other   big awnings
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    Ok
    We live in high desert 4500’ and traveled to higher elevations 10,000’ …..maybe that will effect the material in ways I’ve never experienced. 
    Next week ill see what occurs. 

It worked well once I was able to get the post into its boot.