Options

Another Norcold dilemma

First time post, though I have read a number of posts, thank goodness.
Lighting my 2017 T@B 320S three way Norcold has been problematic, to be brief. Though I have had success in the past - lighting it as directed by the manual and the guide on the refrigerator door - it's not been responding to my attempts over the past several outings. [We usually cook outside on a Coleman propane stove, so even the fact that only one burner on the stovetop works has NOT bothered me enough to 'repair' that matter.]  Anyway, last week, my friend helped me, a bit, by assisting with the following; A - we accessed, through the lower vent panel, the area where we believe the pilot light is located so that we could see when it lights as I strike the sparker above the refrigerator door. We'd double checked the knobs/controls to ensure we were following all correct steps, but even then, he (as I was inside pushing the striker) could not 'see' the pilot light light, though eventually it did. B - we then removed the single screw that secures a shield in order to see 'further' but that was of little help. C - Final result - we could not determine the problem and, thus, could not guesstimate a solution at all. What I am left with are these things, for which I am grateful:  a, writing to this forum seeking wisdom beyond my own experience, b, further exploration, perhaps removing the small diameter tube that, apparently, feeds propane to the pilot light-piezo igniter, to either cleanse/unclog or replace it. 
What ELSE is a guy like me to do? Thanks for your assistance.   Frank

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    edited August 2022
    While I cannot provide a quick solution to your issue, can provide some background . .

A ]  Your 2017 has a Norcold 3136 Fridge.
           The 3136 'lighter' is not piezo technology like on your home gas grill.
           Instead a Spark Electrode that requires 12VDC to function is used.
           So make sure you have Battery Power above 12VDC.

B ]   The manual notes to Hold Button 'A' ( safety valve ) IN until the flame
           indicator is stable.  This is super important to allow the burner area to warm up
           and keep the safety valve from closing due to 'not detected flame (heat)'.

C ] On the 3136 Fridge the Indicator Lamp it not actually a "lamp".
          There is a fiber optic tube / light pipe between the front panel and
          the flame (burner) space . . . when the Indicator Lamp glows that is actually
          light created by the pilot flame.
    {edit, see below; Indicator is actually an LED}

As I said not a solution - - - but perhaps understanding 'what is behind the curtain' will help you - - -
    P.S.
    This forum has several threads on lighting the Propane Fridge.  Just confirm you are reading advise for the 3136 and not the N180-3 (newer version installed with 2018 model year)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 447
    Correction on C ] : The indicator is actually a lamp, clearly shown in the service manual diagrams. Plus, you can't get green light from a yellowish and blue flame :smile:

As for the OPs problem, maybe check the gas pressure after the regulator. The fact that one burner on the stove  isn't working is suspicious.  BTW the flame is not a pilot light in the traditional sense, it is the (adjustable) heat source for the fridge. It doesn't go full blast like a traditional burner either. 

Expanding on what @MuttonChops wrote the igniter audibly ticks when the fridge is set to gas mode. If it doesn't tick check the LP fridge fuse in the fusebox and there is another 1A fuse on top of the fridge. 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    Grumpy_G said:
    Correction on C ] : The indicator is actually a lamp, clearly shown in the service manual diagrams.
    Fully agree, my error
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+