Options

Spare tire on 2017 T@B 320S

CandyACandyA Member Posts: 2
New to this forum...I'm picking up my 2017 on Saturday and am concerned about the under-mounted spare tire. I'm not sure I can back up into my driveway. What is the clearance like? 

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited August 2022
    @CandyA welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer. The rear mount tire will cause a clearance loss, not on the level, but as you suspect up and down inclines. Some people claim to not have much issue, but a great many of us have removed the tire. Most people mount them on the tongue, some carry the spare in their tow vehicle and some of us carry them under the rear bench seat, passenger side.

While picking up your trailer, have your rv dealer remove said tire. For the ride home, place it either in the t@b on the floor forward of the axle or in the tow vehicle. If in the t@b, forward, the weight will help the sometimes bounce of an empty trailer, or in the tow vehicle. Then you will not have to be concerned about getting the t@b up the incline. 

In the event of a blown tire, it will either happen in the full sun, at 120°F or at night in the rain and snow. Always on a nearly deserted road. This tire mount is very hard to release with the entire tire weight hanging on the one bolt. Most burly construction workers would have trouble trying to catch/support the tire weight with one hand & arm while trying to release the tire with a wrench in the other hand. You will have time to decide later where to mount or carry your tire so it is easily accessible, easily removable and convenient for you and compatible to how you camp.

Btw, I happen to believe that 2017 was a very good year for t@bs!

Good luck and enjoy. Happy t@bbing!

2017 t@b 320 S, Sofitel model.

-Denise

2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 349
    I have a 2018 CS with the same undermounted spare. I found the hitch is lower and hits the driveway before the tire. So, I didn't move mine. dragonsdofly is correct, it is a interesting removing it. One other thing I did fix. The spare comes with 13/16 inch lugs and the wheels are 3/4 inch (19mm). You may want to make them all the same. I bought lug locks and used the two displaced nuts to hold up the spare.

Welcome.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    CandyACandyA Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the info.  I'll have the dealer remove the tire when I pick up the trailer.  I viewed a video which suggested the same thing.  I appreciate your response!