Options

Sealing gaps around the Norcold Three-Way fridge for efficiency.

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
While I was adding the three exhaust fans and fan thermostat, I tried hard to find ways to make sure that the air drawn in by the fans was actually helping to cool the condenser fins, rather than just passing by.

There's a fairly wide space between the top of the fridge-face, and the birch trim.

I wanted to plug that gap to redirect the cooling air across the condenser fins.

I found some leftover soft rubber weatherstripping that fits perfectly, tapers well (the gap width is uneven from side to side), and is removable for winter camping (when the heat is welcome to stay inside the Tab).

It's the stuff that has this profile, with a sticky side, which I left the paper on so it wouldn't stick. Home Despot carries it.

Even looks pretty good!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Hey. That looks nice. We get our rig back from the dealer with a newly installed vent fan tomorrow. Maybe we can get something similar stuck in there too.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2015
    Chan - I did something similar using foam packing sheet material - I like yours better. It does need to be flexible I found as the T@B/counter flexes a bit.
    Would probably work in the gap below the wall mounted AC also. In a strong wind, hot/cold air blows in there also.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah, I learned about the AC bezel leaks too. Brrr.

I think the only real way to prevent that air infiltration is with the outside AC cover, because there's a big hole inside the AC box, which goes directly into the shower wall cavity.

Air actually blows right down that cavity and into the bench seat, and around the shower pan into the wall where the pump sleeps, and into the kitchen cupboard!

If you can feel drafts around the bezel of the AC unit, then I betcha you'd feel it in the bench seat too.

Unless of course LG addressed that hole in there before yours came off the line.

A better fix would be to plug the hole inside the box, and weatherstrip it, as you say, and maybe insulate the inside of the box too. 

But that becomes another endless project....

Come to think of it, one might be able to get at that hole from behind the mirror in the shower...

Hmmm. I'll be sure to post pictures. :-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    PXLated said:

Would probably work in the gap below the wall mounted AC also. In a strong wind, hot/cold air blows in there also.
    'Was thinking the same thing. I can see daylight around three sides of my AC. Not a huge deal unless camping in extremes, but I do and will.  So, now we are talking about an air deflector + perimeter seal...hmmm.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm thinking that maybe covers for both the outside AC and fridge vents for the extremes or windy days might be better, seal them off completely.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I bought a package of 3 A/C magnetic covers yesterday on sale for about $3. The A/C vent is not metal, and I already knew the fridge vent was plastic. I'll figure out some other use for them...maybe use a paper clip to hang them from the vents....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    And if one is in the southwest, especially Phoenix AZ, we have the potential of dust.  All the more reason to beef up the sealing of crevices.