Options

Installed Suntek PPF on 400…Prevent Rock Chips

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
edited August 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
We occasionally camp out in BLM land and the roads can be unforgiving. I started to notice chips and dings happening in a specific area on the front of our 2021 400 BD. I know some may say it adds character but all it does for me is wish I had done something sooner to prevent it. 

This past April we took a trip out to the San Rafael Swell in Utah and the pic below shows the specific area that happens to get rocks and dirt flung up on it during travel. I even had a ding as high as almost above the front window (and yes, I have mudflaps on the TV).

So I purchased some quality Suntek PPF (off eBay), created some templates out of gator board (that thick cardboard you use to protect your floors during construction) and crafted two 18” wide strips to protect the left and right front of the trailer. 

The hardest part was making the templates. Applying the film couldn’t be easier. Soap and water and a squeegee. The film is hard to make out in the pics but my hope is it will eliminate chips and diminish the impact of rocks and dents will be less severe. I plan to cover the front window as well since I’ve noticed a couple of little chips from rocks on it. Might prevent it shattering too.

Two other areas that experience some abuse are the plastic trim pieces along the front sides (I installed a cheaper film to protect these and I plan to remove it and use the Sunktek) and the diamond plating. We have the large Dewalt boxes that basically eliminate any damage to that but I think you could even apply the film of diamond plating with a heat gun. 

I’ve even applied some rock guard film type material to the front areas of the frame as that area gets pummeled and the rust can get out of control if not protected. 

Having a professional apply this stuff is expensive and the flat surface makes it so easy. Time will tell if this makes a difference and I know it’s not for everybody but the trailer is an investment.

2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    kurtkurt Member Posts: 11
    What speed are you driving to cause that many rocks to fly up?
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    I did the same thing only I used 3M film from Amazon.  Was easy to install and makes a big difference.  We have extra mud flaps on our truck but rocks still come up on gravel roads sometimes.  My only regret is that I didn’t go higher up on the front of the trailer (I stopped level with the bottom of the window).  Keep us posted on how it goes covering the window.  My understanding is that it wouldn’t work on that plastic surface.  But if it does that would be great.
  • Options
    kurt said:
    What speed are you driving to cause that many rocks to fly up?
    25-30mph. No joke. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    XenanMe said:
    I did the same thing only I used 3M film from Amazon.  Was easy to install and makes a big difference.  We have extra mud flaps on our truck but rocks still come up on gravel roads sometimes.  My only regret is that I didn’t go higher up on the front of the trailer (I stopped level with the bottom of the window).  Keep us posted on how it goes covering the window.  My understanding is that it wouldn’t work on that plastic surface.  But if it does that would be great.
    Yeah, I’ve kicked up rocks as high as the mid-front window and that was going 25mph. 

In theory covering the window should work. It’s the same as covering your headlights on a car. Just not sure on how optically clear it will be afterwards though. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
     Looks like you did a wonderful job cutting the film. How did you do that? Which width did you use. I see 3M/VViViD in 12" and 6" available in rolls and a ginormous 300"x54" version. 
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    @KK1L
    Thanks! I'm no pro but it came out ok. 

You have to purchase it on eBay. There are a few sellers that sell it by predetermined widths. I would avoid the VViVid stuff. It's thin and is hard to apply. Stick with Suntek...that seems to be the best bang for the buck. There are higher end films but I couldn't justify the cost. I have this Suntek Ultra film on my Tacoma and it's held up well over the past 2+ years. 

As far as cutting the film I created a template out of that thick cardboard you use to protect your floors during construction. Then I just used that to cut my film to. It's tricky but not impossible. If your templates are decent then cutting the film is simple. The hardest part is creating the template. 

I just installed the same film on my front window as it was getting a few scratches from random stones getting tossed up at it. I'll post how it works next season but I think it will prevent that window from shattering in the event a big enough rock hits it. This film is tough.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road