Options

Norcold Model 740 Refrigerator Issue

We have a 2015 TAB 320 CS-S that we are about to sell but when we where running a pre-check of the systems, we discovered that the Norcold 2-way refrigerator (1.7cf) is not chilling. There is power to the unit and this is a recent development over the past couple of months.  I called the TAB dealership and they want $1,200 for a new Norcold replacement unit plus installation costs.  YIKES!  Does anyone have any thoughts on troubleshooting this issue or a cheaper replacement option?  Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    A common failure mode for the 2-way Fridge models is a faulty thermostat, a replacement is available on Amazon for ~$40.

The Norcold Service Manual, Models NR740 & NR751, part number 635773
    is available on-line at the Norcold web-site and other locations.  The Service Manual includes minor troubleshooting aids and electrical diagrams.

And of course you have the option to disclose the Fridge has recently failed and just adjust your selling price.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 449
    Does the compressor run and it is not cooling ? That would indicate loss of refrigerant and is terminal. If it doesn't run it might just be the thermostat. I'm not familiar with the specific model but typically you can "short" the two terminals on the thermostat and if the compressor turns on it confirms the thermostat being the culprit. 
  • Options
    RarmorRarmor Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies!  The compressor is not running so sounds like it might be the thermostat?

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Rarmor said:
    Thanks for the replies!  The compressor is not running so sounds like it might be the thermostat?

Just on the off chance .... If you are running off battery power, if the battery is too low your compressor won't kick on even if there's enough power to get the cabin lights etc. to come on.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    RarmorRarmor Member Posts: 3
    Hey Marceline - I hope that you are doing well today. I am trying to run off of a shoreline without success. Thank you for you thoughts/insight.