Options

Multiple Solar Controllers

We have a tab 320 cs-s boondock with Factory Solar.  I've added in a separate solar panel and controller (Goal Zero Boulder 100 and Goal Zero 10 controller).  When you have multiple controllers do the settings for bulk, float, absorption levels need to match? I'm assuming that if they are different one of them may go into float mode will the other is still charging but will that cause any issues?

The goal zero doesn't seem very configurable while the Victron Connect seems like it might be possible to start a global conflict if you mess up the settings.

Thanks.
Alan
2022 Tab 320cs-s
2020 Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 621
    If they are charging a common battery then they should have the same charge settings.  You don't want one charger going to float mode at 14.4V and the other at 14.6V, for example.  While it may not be configurable, can you find out the settings for the Goal controller, so you can match them with the Victron?
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 460
    With independent controllers the higher charge mode will normally win, but it's a bit of a crap shoot. Remember when the trailer is plugged in and you have solar into a roof controller you also have two independent chargers with our converter being the crummiest charger. Especially compared to the configurability of multiple Victrons/shunt AND networking so they work together to share the charging as each is able.  I would love a Victron converter that would work with the solar and shunt when I change in a year or so to Lithium.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited August 2022
    I have the Victron for the roof and a Renogy controller with a battery disconnect mounted in the front tub for the portable. Haven't had any problems. Whoever has the most sun wins.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York