Options

Power to Outlets While Boondocking

I apologize in advance for the noob question, I have been reading posts on this topic but could not reach a workable conclusion. I have a '18 T@B 400, while on battery power, the only outlet that works is the cigarette adapter style one to the left of the kitchen, see here:

Is there a way for me to add an inverter to the system so that I can power a real outlet in our trailer while on battery power?

I'd also like to add the ability for us to use a portable solar panel, can I hook a panel directly to the battery or do I need to go through some sort of controller first? We are using the original AGM battery.

I've seen a lot of posts on individual setups, but haven't found one that explains the concepts involved at a high level. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Tony

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Unless you have one of the very first 2018 TaB400s, you should already have an inverter installed.  The outlet and control switch are on the angled panel at the foot of the rear bunk (passenger side).  The various USB outlets should also work on battery power, we have a 2018 TaB400 and ours does.  The single 12VDC outlet in the galley is unfortunate, which their had been another one in dinners or by the inverter outlet.  
    The OEM inverter is a 1200 watt pure sine wave type inverter, and will power small appliances, but not larger ones like a Microwave oven of any size.  
    As for solar panels, you will need a controller between the solar panel and the battery.  Access to your battery is easy, and you can run a wire with a SAE connector (with a fuse inline on the positive leg) from the battery to the outside storage locker, zip,tied to the existing power cable running above the battery to the door, where the battery cutoff switch is located.  When not being used, coil the wire up and stow in the locker next to the battery.  
    I added a Victron Blue MPPT 75/15 Solar controller (same one used for nüCamp’s roof top solar installations) which is good for 200 watts of solar panels.  I installed this between the battery and the SAE connector and secured it inside the storage locker area next to the battery.  There are several discussions here about adding a portable solar setup, do a search and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Here are some photos showing the inverter location in the TaB400 (2018/2019 models)
    The black box below is the battery cover on later 2018 and 2019 TaB400 builds.
    If you have this setup, just connect the solar charger to the little black box between the inverter the battery box (this is the DC power distribution box)

This is the battery setup on 2018 TaB400s before the black battery box has used. The inverter is the black box to the left of the battery above.  The outlet and control switch is shown on the panel to the right foreground, which is mounted at the foot of the bed.

Here is a sot of the Victron MPPT controller, I added a plywood panel on the side of the battery and mounted the solar controller to this panel.  It also has a smart phone app that allows you to monitor the solar controller from your phone.

Cheers
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Hi Tony. I just sent you a message regarding my inverter and solar setup. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    tonygebelytonygebely Member Posts: 17
    Thank you @rcuomo I'll check it out!

Thanks for the heads up @Denny16, I confirmed that mine is one of the early '18 models with no inverter, I took a look under the bed and I have nothing but a feed of wires going through the angled panel at the foot of the bed. I don't suppose this is something I can install after the fact to power the outlets? I've also seen inverters with outlets built-in on Amazon, which may be an option? I would just like to be able to plug some things in should we boondock. Thanks also for sharing your solar controller, I'll look into that.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2022
    @tonygebely: installing an inverter is not impossible, some owners of Tab 320's have installed them.  Just takes a bit of wiring expertise. 
    I have a 320 without an inverter.  I use small inverters in my trailer, plugged into the "cigarette" adapter ( a "12V port") in your first picture.  The downside of an inverter that plugs into the port: they are wired to a 15 amp circuit, so the maximum wattage of an item you can use is 180.  I successfully charge cameras, laptops, USB devices, etc, with my inverter.  You just have to know the "wattage" of the device you want to use.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @tonygebely, installing a inverter is,not that hard, just use the photos of,the nüCamp install as a quite.  The first question you need to ask, is what is the largest (watt requirement) for,the appliance you want to power.  Once you have this, add 20% and that is the size of inverter you need to buy.  Most inverters have the 120 VAC outlet on them, just connect this to an outlet in theTaB in a convient location.  Youmcan use the angled panel as nüCamp did or do something different.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    FYI.  My 2019 400 did not come with an inverter.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    Another option to wiring in an inverter is to simply buy a portable battery w/pure sine wave inverter like a Bluetti, Goal Zero, or Jackery. They come in all sizes depending on your need. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    edited September 2022
    @Horigan, I guess the inverter was an option in 2018/2019 std model and possibly 
    part of the Boondock package in 2019! along with the solar?  (Edit: this is speculation on my part, both became part of the Boondock package sometime after 2020).  

@dsfdogs, good suggestion, a Yeti Goal Zero or similar battery based generator system with its own inverter would work.  The model number of these units is the max Watt rating.  A 200 to 500-Watt Goal Zero with lithium is small, light and easy to move around.  They also,provide additional outdoor (or inside) lighting options.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Denny16 the inverter was not included in any 2018-19 for certain either standard or Boondock models, not sure about 2020+. I have a 2019 Boondock and inverter was a standalone option that I did not get.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    OK, thanks @N7SHG_Ham, I was just speculating on the dates the solar and inverter became part of a package.  We have a Jan 2018 build with factory solar and the inverter.  I know of several other 2019 Boondock models that also included the inverter with the solar panels.  Sometime around, or after the 2020 build, the Boondock did include solar and the inverter.  I guess for 2018/2019 it was an option.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Thanks @Denny16, @dsfdogs, @N7SHG_Ham, @pthomas745, @rcuomo, and @Horigan, I'll work on this and post photos once I'm done. Appreciate the helpful information!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    This diagram shows what I plan to implement, as I'm not an electrician, can anyone give me a thumbs up or thumbs down? Thank you!

DC Distribution box I'm considering: https://amzn.to/3qf20Hm

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    edited September 2022

My concern with your plan is the "6 way 12V Fuse Box" you plan to use as a DC Distribution Buss.
    That item comes with 20A Fuses as the highest amperage and notes Screw Terminals are for 12-16 AWG wire.

If for example your Inverter is a 1000W 120VAC model, it would require around 95 Amp 12VDC.
    That is Big Fat (and short) Wires between the battery source and inverter input.
    Which the "6 way 12V Fuse Box" can not support.

Perhaps a 400 owner with a Factory installed DC Distribution Block & inverter could share the DC Distribution brand/part number.  Of course that will require you adding in-line fuses to your layout.

My Guess is the factory units use something like this for the DC 12VDC Distribution.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Thanks @MuttonChops, this is helpful. I'll try to find a better DC distribution system.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @tonygebely I agree with MuttonChops, you do not need, and should not use a fused distribution box.  The one MuttonChops shows is similar to,what the new TaBs are equipped with.  You could also use a straight Marine type 50/60 amp dual buss bar (no fuses), and save some $.  
    The rest of diagram looks good.  You will need an inline 40-amp fuse on the solar controller, between the battery and controller.  Also the inverter comes with or will need special fuses between inverter and battery distribution box connection, as shown below on a 2019 TaB setup:
    Cheers