Options

Tennessee

CharChar Member Posts: 19
Hi all,

Taking my new T@B out for it's second trip, and I picked Tennessee because it's "only" 12 hours from the Twin Cities.  I'd love to see the Smoky Mountains, Nashville, and maybe Memphis if there's time.  I would prefer to find quieter campgrounds.  I'm still afraid of the monster RV parks going solo with my dog and tiny T@B.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Follow your heart and go for it, and do a search of campgrounds in areas that you are interested in seeing. I would suggest checking out the State Parks. We prefer those.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Thank you, J and J, I'll do that.

• Options
    Do you need reservations at state parks?  Do they all allow camping?

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Char - Look SE of Gilbertsville - think it's Kentucky - SE of St Louis a hundred or two. Great big reservoir just north of the Tennessee border. Lots of COE and FS campgrounds as well as others. If I take a trip that direction it's the place I'd head. Have always had good luck with COEs.
    Do you have the UltimateCG app - That's where I spotted them.
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    We just spent 3 nights on Old Hickory Lake @ Cedar Creek, just a short jaunt to Nashville.  Very nice campground on the lake, plenty of shade, bath houses clean but unisex.
    The great thing is that with our SR Ntl Park pass our fee was only $10 per night!!!
    they lock the gates to the campground at 10PM.
    Water and electric.
    So much to see in the area and just a short drive to Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Char said:
    Do you need reservations at state parks?  Do they all allow camping?

Yes, and some do some don't. This time of year in the more popular areas reservations are recommended, it is the busy season. I don't know about the State Parks down there but, here in Ohio most State Parks have "Walk -In" sites.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Thank you all!  Wondering... what are COEs and FS campgrounds?  I'll definitely go to Old Hickory because I want to see Nashville while I'm there.  

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    COE is Corps of Engineers campgrounds and I believe FS is Forest Service.  btw: It takes awhile to become familiar with the acronyms. When my wife and I first got our T@B and joined the group we were puzzled as to why everyone kept stuff inside their televisions.  Then we figured out that TV is a towing vehicle. We got quite a chuckle out of that one.

2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    HA!  We all start somewhere, don't we?  I'm so nervous I can hardly stand myself!  I'm getting a generator tomorrow just in case.  I don't like the idea of relying on populated campgrounds when I don't have reservations.  But, how do you make reservations?  I have no idea how many hours I can drive before I want to stop!
  • Options
    honakerhonaker Member Posts: 4
    Char I'm heading to Montana on Monday im not making any type of reservations most campgrounds have sites open for people who just show up. 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I prefer the "quiet side of the Smokies" and stay in Townsend.  Much quieter and very few tourists.  The KOA as well as Big Meadow Family Campground are both on Little River.  You can also stay within the GSMNP, but it's without hookups.  In the park, I prefer Elkmont.  It's cool in the summer and very nice.   Around Nashville I stay at Seven Points campground within the COE area of J. Percy Priest Reservoir.  Between Nashville and the Smokies, along I-40, is Edgar Evins SP.  If you're new to towing you probably don't want to stay there.  You back up onto raised wood decks suspended over the hillside.  Feels like camping in a treehouse.  Very cool.

When reserving for COE, log onto www.recreation.gov.  For state parks, many states use www.reserveamerica.com   Some states have their own link.  Just Google the park, and the park page will give the link for reserving.  Most all keep several sites, or loops, open as non-reservable, or walk-up.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    PXLated may be referring to Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley.  Kentucky Lake is KY and Lake Barkley is IL, and "Land Between the Lakes".  Very busy boating/camping area.  If you want quiet, you might try Pennyrile Forest, to the NE of that area about 45 minutes.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Char - Sorry about alphabet soup.
    Over the ten months of camping, what I've found in the areas I've traveled...

Most state parks require a reservation on weekends as they're all packed with weekenders. During the week you can usually find plenty of spots. Right now I'm in a state park waiting out two days of rain. This weekend the place is booked solid but there' only three of us here and there are 30+ sites.

Federal parks - Corp of Engineers, National Parks, Forest Service - have all been either totally first come, first serve or a mix. Theo Roosevelt for instance was 50/50. From what I've found, Fed parks have always been cheaper than any of the others. COEs have had the best facilities so far.

I've never done any detailed trip planning east of the Mississippi but it appears there are very few federal lands or boondocking areas whereas in the west it's everywhere.

So far I've never made a reservation (or stayed in a commercial campground) and only once in the ten months did I not get in the place I targeted. In that case, I had to drive another 20 miles. BUT, if I want a campground, I never travel and try on Fridays. I always get in and get a first come site before the weekend starts. A lot of people leave on Sunday afternoons so that works also.

All that said, my experience is all west of the Mississippi so your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    In Carthage, TN, there is an AWESOME COE campground called Defeated Creek. Beautiful big sites, some full hookup, some water/electric, a beautiful lake.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Mouseketab - Love COEs because they're always on water. Looks as if there's a ton of COEs in TN
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Big South Fork Nat. Recreation Area on the Ky, Tn border has a nice campground at Bandy Creek. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Stayed at Bandy Creek, very nice, wooded, shade and again 1/2 price with our Sr. Pass.  It is quite hairy driving there in one section, but our LG campers have an advantage.
    we reserve simply because my husband and I feel more comfortable knowing we have a place.
    I think our reservations go thru Reserve America.
    Hope to return to Bandy Creek soon.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Wow, you've all given me so much to think about!  Thank you all.  I did get the Ultimate CG app, thanks, PX.  I want to visit every place you've mentioned.  So much to learn.... :)
  • Options
    TnMtnCmperTnMtnCmper Member Posts: 7
    We live in Sevierville, Tn. Our favorite place in all of the Smokies is Elkmont campground in the heart of the national park.  If you want to "experience" the Smoky Mountains, I urge you to stay away from the commercial campgrounds, even though they may be closer to the tourist attractions and have full hook-ups. The temperature is usually 10-15 degrees cooler there than at our house, so the A/C is not really needed.  The word "awesome" actually is justified is describing this campground and the surrounding area.  You can probably get reservations this time of the summer if you avoid the weekend. Hope you have a great first trip! You will be making memories that will last a lifetime!
    Gordon and Ivy... 2016 T@b S-Max... East Tennessee
  • Options
    I was at Bandy Creek  last month.  I liked the drive, but my site had sun all day.  I was warned about snakes, and saw several.  Shower facilities were nice, and the CG had a pool.   I prefer to be water front, though, and stayed at a cool place on the way: Bailey's Point on Barren River Lake near Glasgo, KY.  That's my kind of place. 

• Options
    TABaker - What's that hooked pole in the pic for? Every COE I've been in has one. Never seen them anywhere else.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    For your camp lantern, from the day when everyone had a kerosene, white gas or propane lantern. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
  • Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    Spruce1 said:
    COE is Corps of Engineers campgrounds and I believe FS is Forest Service.  btw: It takes awhile to become familiar with the acronyms. When my wife and I first got our T@B and joined the group we were puzzled as to why everyone kept stuff inside their televisions.  Then we figured out that TV is a towing vehicle. We got quite a chuckle out of that one.

Me TOO! LOL! I kept wondering why everybody was so obsessed with their television sets... What a dope I can be! ;)
  • Options
    Same here, didn't have a clue.
  • Options
    Back when I joined the LG forum was the only one, and I read all of the posts before I posted (a lot fewer posts). The only acronyms I didn't understand were typos ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    People also use those hooks to hang their trash at night so critters don't rip into it.

• Options
    I had't thought of that Crystal. I always saw the lanterns. Thanks!
    Verna, Columbus, IN