Kelty Backroads Shelter

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
edited September 2022 in Products and Accessories
Has anyone looked at or tried one of these new Kelty Backroads awnings on their T@B?

https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-BACKROADS-SHELTER-Midnight-Hydro/dp/B096SZH7PH

2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    Don’t see how you would attach it to the T@B. I am sure you could improvise someway but it could require more effort to set it up
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    webers3 said:
    Don’t see how you would attach it to the T@B. I am sure you could improvise someway but it could require more effort to set it up
    It has straps you can toss over the "vehicle" and attach to any solid object (e.g., wheels, T@B handles, etc.).

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    Something to consider then. A lot less money than some of the T@BCentric products out there. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
    webers3 said:
    Something to consider then. A lot less money than some of the T@BCentric products out there. 

I've been looking for something easy (solo traveler) and compact.  My primary reason for wanting an awning of some sort is more related to rain than sun, as I live in western Washington.  I am seriously considering this one, but thought I'd ask if anyone else had given it a try.

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    We recently bought the moonshade awning and used it on an 11 day boondocking trip. I was quite impressed with the build quality and the easy setup/takedown. I can do it myself in less than 5 minutes. They now sell keder rail anchors that fit the T@B rail which makes setup simple - just clip into the anchors w the sewn-in carabiners. They also sell side walls to provide more sun or rain protection if needed. We like the option of no walls for the view or wall(s) for protection. 

They kind of hit the middle ground price wise. Not cheap but not as expensive as some. They are sold as a shade canopy, not a rain fly, but they shed water quite nicely. The awning held up to some stiff winds. You do need to stake the poles down which results in annoying guide lines, but I guess that’s part of having most awnings. 

We are happy with our purchase. I’d do it again. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Thanks, @WayneW, I have also considered the moonshade.  I thought I had read that the keder attachments they use don't work on our trailers, but maybe that was not correct.

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    Kelty has a 25% off sale for Labor Day.  Free shipping over $49.  
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    edited September 2022
    @PNWtabber  Moonfab now offers different size keder anchors. They used to only offer 1/2” which fit the Airstream Basecamp but now they offer multiple sizes. I ordered the 3/8” but had to spend some time w a file to get them to fit. The Tab rail is 3/8” inside diameter and the 3/8” anchors are a full 3/8”, so no clearance. I would buy the 5/16” if I had to do it again. 

Once I got the anchors in the right place on the rail, I just left them there. Setup is now simple. I should note that we have a 2021 320S. As I remember, the keder rail dimensions may have changed w older models. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    edited September 2022
    DenisP said:
    Kelty has a 25% off sale for Labor Day.  Free shipping over $49.  

Shoot, wish I had realized that yesterday, looks like the sale is over.  I would likely purchase from REI for easy return if it doesn't work out.  For example, I'm not sure how this would interfere with the door.

I got an email today about the sale from Kelty that the sale ends today. I buy from REI for the return policy also. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    DenisP said:
    I got an email today about the sale from Kelty that the sale ends today. I buy from REI for the return policy also. 

Aha, found the Kelty sale at the top of the web page:  
    25% OFF W/CODE LABORDAY2022 | FREE SHIPPING $49+

Drops the price from $169.95 to $127.46.

Returns to Kelty must be returned in brand new unused condition, with all original product packaging (including tags), and any safety seals unbroken.  Shipping charge for returns is on the customer.

My son has the similar Kelty Sideroads awning for his truck (it doesn't have the side-walls, and I don't know how the size compares to the Backroads).  Maybe I'll try his awning as a test.

Our first camping trip with our Tab 400 4 years ago We used a Kelty awning we previously used on beach trips attached to our Landcruiser. Learned quickly not to leave an awning up unattended unless it is well tested in the wind.  We have since moved from Pahaque awning, Visor and currently enjoying Isabella awning.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts