Options

Low power message for Chromecast with Google tv

nettlesnettles Member Posts: 30
Getting a low power message when I use try to use DC power for the Chromecast device.  Works fine with 110 outlet.  The only way to stream my phone is with a Chromecast device.  Has anyone successfully powered a Chromecast on DC power?   If so, what model device?  Anybody using a streaming device of any kind with dc power?
2018 T@B 320s, 2013 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,692
    What is your battery state of charge?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited September 2022
    Sounds like you probably have the latest model Chromecast device. What are you using for the power source?

The newest generation of Chromecast devices ('Chromecast with Google TV') will not operate on 5V @ 1 Amp power sources (older models did). You need a minimum of 5V @ 1.5 Amps, which means that the on default on board USB ports aren't going to cut it (they're 5V @ 1 Amp). If you have an older model, then you're not meeting the 5V @ 1 Amp threshold that's required.

Your easiest solution in this case would probably be using a 12v barrel adapter (the sort you'd put in your car) rated for at least 5V @ 2 Amps to power the Chromecast via one of the on-board DC sockets. Alternatively, you could wire in a similar but permanent charger to the onboard 12v power to supply higher-voltage, higher-amperage USB capabilities (e.g., this one from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Charge-Charger-Socket-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B082PNLMDS). If you're so inclined, you could also tap the USB-C cable into the onboard 12v power (behind a 2Amp fuse), but this is is real headache with USB-C and probably not worth the trouble.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    I'm connected to shore power with the battery disconnect switch set to off.  The on board USB ports will charge my phone, but not run the Google Chromecast.  It is a new model with Google TV.

I have a 2018 TAB 320s so it looks like the problem is the USB ports won't power the Chromecast.  I'll give the 12v barrel adapter a try.  

We are headed to the Everglades sometime this fall and will boondock at least one night on the way.  It would be great if husband could watch some football when we stop for the night or take a break from driving.

Hopefully, I'll have a good Verizon signal and can get enough power for the Chromecast.  And enough battery for the night!

I got my TAB in July and it hasn't left the driveway!   Although I have been driveway camping quite a bit.  I'm getting things figured out slow but sure.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, thanks.