Options

Strange Ceiling Fan Noise - - what is Your Guess on reason?

Background:

My TaB Fantastic Fan has always made a strange noise while running.
Today, while camped on the windy North Central Montana prairie, I recorded the sound when the fan blades are spinning by wind power only . . . that is the electric motor is off.

The clicking sound the fan makes under wind power is the same as it makes when electric powered.
But of course the frequency is different as under electric power the blades spin faster.

I have removed/re-installed the blades, I have inspected for clearances and cannot find a noise source.
So the best guess is the noise is in the motor housing; which is fully sealed.

Questions:

1]  Anyone else have this " noise " ?

2}  Any GUESSES on what the noise source & fix might be ?

The Sound Link:

Since the forum does not accept video links,
   I have attempted to link a YouTube Channel Video File.

Note:  Sound is 100% correct while Fan Blades visual are out-of-sync with the sound due to
              my cellphone video "shutter speed".

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    coopycoopy Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2022
    I had a "clicking" noise coming from my FantasticFan. I don't think it was the same noise as in your video. I, too, took it apart to see if I could find the source. I, too narrowed it down to the sealed motor housing. It was still under warranty, and I got the fan replaced by the dealer.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    coopy said:
    I had a "clicking" noise coming from my FantasticFan.
    . . . was still under warranty, and I got the fan replaced by the dealer.

:| Yep, I should have asked/said something while my TaB was in the extra items limited warranty
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Ours always makes a squeaking sound.  I wiped down the not so dirty looking blades and it was quieter but not completely gone. Yours is different.  Maybe it's the wind blowing and vibrating through the screen.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    Not sure about the clicking but the squeaking is most often due to dust in the motor.  There are several videos on youtube on how to clean a fan with compressed air to fix it.  You just need to take the motor out of the housing and blow everything clean with the air.  I did this earlier this year with our MaxxAir fan and it's been very quiet since.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado