Options

New Design Front Window, No Install Procedure, and a Strange Plywood Jig

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
I ordered a replacement front window from Princess Craft and had it drop shipped to me from NuCamp.  The package arrived with lots of pieces and parts, but no installation instructions, and this very strange plywood jig.  The window is also a different design from the one on my 400.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    edited September 2022
    I'm in the process of ordering a new front window, so this has me intrigued.  It looks like they may have changed window design to obviate the rain-leak problem.  I'm guessing the template is to position the new hardware, assuming that annotated part is a new hinge to mount to the trailer.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @rh5555, yes that part you have labeled is the hinge.  The upper portion rotates, has predrilled, countersunk holes and a strip of adhesive caulk on it.  The hinge is fully captured by the ends of the acrylic window, so no ‘sliding’ the window into the channel.  Would be nice if there was a procedure.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    @TNOutback, did you ever get your window installed?  With the aid of instructions? I find myself in the same situation with a broken corner on my older style window.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    So, an update on this older post:
    As you may have gathered, NuCamp has changed the front window design on the TAB400 (possibly other windows too, can't speak to that).  They don't have any of the older windows left, so if you need to replace the front window, you're going to get a new one.  The new one comes with a replacement gasket, filler for the gasket, a template and a bag of screws and plastic pieces.
    First thing I noticed was that the replacement gasket was exactly the same as the one currently installed in our 2020 trailer, so I saw no point in replacing it (ours is only 2 years old).  This may not be true for older trailers - you'll need to check.
    Second thing I noticed was that the latches for the new window are in exactly the same relative locations as on the old window so the receivers for the latches would not need to be moved.  Again, This may not be true for older trailers - you'll need to check.
    This made the replacement pretty easy and doesn't use the template, gasket or filler (I suspect these are needed if replacing other windows).  A helper is useful, as dropping the window onto concrete will shatter it (don't ask):
    1. Remove the old window by removing the set screw and sliding it to the side.  Involves the removing trim piece from the edge of the trailer to get clearance
    2. Unscrew and remove old hinge
    3. Clean up area where hinge was and fill holes with your favorite filler
    4. Mount new window with hinge installed using latches at bottom edge engaged in the "vent" slots
    5. Engage side latches in vent slots - this secures the window in place
    6. Make sure window is perfectly centered
    7. Apply masking tape to the trailer so that its bottom edge perfectly aligns with the top of the hinge
    8. Mark ends of hinge on masking tape
    9. Remove window from trailer, and then remove hinge from window
    10. Check that all countersunk holes in hinge are countersunk low enough for screws to seat properly.  Countersink deeper as needed.
    11. Mount the hinge to the trailer with top edge exactly 1mm higher than the bottom edge of your masking tape.  I drilled the screws in before removing the backing tape to make sure everything was properly aligned, then unscrewed it all, removed the backing tape and screwed it back up.
    12. Let the sealing goo squidge out, re-tightening screws as needed.
    13. Mount new window to hinge, and attach stays using existing holes
    14.  I was having problems with the upper edge of my gasket drooping (it is held up by buried staples that seem to have lost their grip).  I used the 5 spacers included with the kit as short straps to hold the gasket in place with 10 of the excess screws.
    If I'd known what I was doing at the start, the whole operation would have taken a couple of hours. 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    Thank you for the detailed write up!
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA