Options

Glycol for Alde

My Alde glycol is getting to minimum level and I want to top it off. Is Prestone antifreeze an acceptable type of glycol to add? 

2021 400 BD / 2020  F-150, 3.5L EcoBoost / NE Ohio

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited September 2022
    Absolutely not. Do not mix brands of glycol.
    You either need to add the same kind of glycol that's already in your system (search here on the forums for details), or flush the system and add OEM Truma/Alde glycol.
    There are other brands you can run in the system, but doing so will void your warranty.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2022
    I agree with techietab, you need to determine which glycol your 2021 TaB has, if it was built in Jan 2021, chances are it has the new Blue (or blue/green) colored Rhomar fluid currently being used by Truma/Alde and nüCamp.  If it is greenish yellow or yellow, it is the older Century CF fluid that was previously used.  You need to get the correct fluid, with the Century or Rhomar fluid to top off your Alde.  If your TaB was built in early Jan 2021, and has the yellow/green Century fluid, you may be eligible to have the fluid changed out to the new Rhomar fluid by your dealer, with nüCamp picking up the cost.

If your TaB was built before Jan 2021, chances are your fluid is now approaching or has been in use for two years.  Truma/Alde and nüCamp recommend changing the Alde fluid every two years. They also recommend changing to the new Rhomar fluid if you have the older Century fluid.  Most nüCamp TaB dealers can do the change for you, which requires draining and flushing out your Alde system before putting the new Rhomar fluid in.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Boomerb77, absolutely do NOT use any ethylene glycol (a car type antifreeze) - it's poisonous!  Only a proplyene glycol is safe to use, and also only the brand name mixture recommended by Nucamp which has the needed freezing protection as well as corrosion inhibitors.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    RockysRockys Member Posts: 4
    where did you buy the Rhomar rg-rtu-50 in Canada?
  • Options
    Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    As a Canadian as well, my best bet is that a T@b dealer will probably have it, since they do maintenance on T@bs.  And I mean a real T@b dealer as oppose to some RV dealer who will have the occasional T@b and know nothing about them.
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"
  • Options
    Boomerb77Boomerb77 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for inputs. I heard back from Nucamp that I have the Century TF 1 transfer fluid and they suggest on next flush replace with Rhomar Rhogard (RG-RTY-50-GD).
    2021 400 BD / 2020  F-150, 3.5L EcoBoost / NE Ohio
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
    I got a jug of Rhomar from Terrys Trailer Service in Own Sound Ontaio...they are a NuCamp dealer 
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    I got a jug of Rhomar from Terrys Trailer Service in Own Sound Ontaio...they are a NuCamp dealer 
    @CanadianTabber I leave New Brunswick today for Terry's to pick up my new 2022 Tab 400. Very excited!
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130
    My dealer just finished my two-year scheduled Glycol flush (2021 400 delivered in August 2021) and informed me that it incorrectly had the older fluid.  He has filed a warranty claim with NuCamp as a result, even tho the warranty period has clearly expired.  We shall see what happens.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    This was the notice from nüCamp, “ Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers/nuCamp has been notified by Truma/Alde that they will be switching to a different brand of glycol (Rhomar Water RG-RTU-50).  This change is a requirement from Truma/Alde for new units to be eligible for warranty.   Due to this requirement,all nuCamp production units manufactured on or after 1/4/2021 will contain the Rhomar water glycol.”  
    Later nüCamp stated that any  2021 year model TaB, that didn’t get the new Rhomar glycol, nüCamp will cover the flush and replacement with Rhomar.  
    So Marlee, you just may have gotten a free service job!
     Cheers 
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130
    @Denny16 - that would be delightful!  But is there any potential damage to my Alde system as a result of the "wrong" Glycol for the past two years?
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @marleecamps No, I doubt it, our 2018 TaB400 been using the Century TF (which is what you had and was used prior to the switch to Rhomar) since Jan 2018, and no issues.  When nüCamp made the change, they recommended waiting unit your next scheduled glycol change to flush and switch to Rhomar fluid.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 985
    Our 2021 400 was built in Feb/March of 2020.  It of course had the Century TF1 glycol.  I did the switch myself to Rhomar this past spring.  After I did the switch I learned that NuCamp was covering the cost of the switch to Rhomar for any 2021 model that came with Century.  I contacted them and explained I did it myself and they sent me a check to cover the cost of my materials.  So anyone that has a 2021 that came with Century can have the switch done and paid for by NuCamp or get reimbursed if you did it yourself. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado