Options

400 Boondock tires non ST

tepe50tepe50 Member Posts: 37
edited October 2022 in Trailer & Towing
I noticed at the Hershey show that they were using non-ST tires on the boondocks and then some YouTube video reviews. They were Goodyear wrangler trailrunner at 235/75/15. Any thoughts comments they are much more reasonably priced then rainier st
2020 tab 400 BDL & 2013 siver shadow 5x10

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    While I have no issues using a non ST tire on a trailer, I have mostly used truck tires on past trailers, I have always used LT tires with at load range from C, D or E depending on the trailer.  Using a tire with an SL load range is certainly not my first choice and I would probably upgrade them sooner than later.  But thats me. Most SL are only around a 4 ply while ST usually have at least 6 ply.  I'd probably switch them out for a load range D or XL for the T@b 400.  While the tire they switched too is not a terrible tire by any means I do not think NuCamp  made the best choice on this matter.  Especially when there are plenty of tires in that size that are not too expensive and have a higher load rating.  Take the  Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s for example.  You can get it for around $160 and it has an XL rating with 2271bs per tire.  For a few extra dollars you get about 500lbs of extra load capacity.  The coopers still do not have quite the capacity of the Rainier but better than the Goodyear.  For me price is not the first determining factor when shopping for tires.  Specs are first then I'll price tires that have same or similar specs and decide from there.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    Whilst the SL designation is a standard load tire, normally used on passenger vehicles and small trucks, the Goodyear wrangler trailrunner at 235/75/15 has a max load rating of 2039 lbs, which will give a total weight of 4078lbs for a single axle, and well within the TaB400 max load rating of 3900lbs.  ST tires have stiffer sidewall construction than AT tires, to improve supporting heavy loads.

That said, I also like the Cooper Discoverer AT3 for a TaB400 Boondock.  This is more to do with the tire design, and it’s added traction on paved surfaces, than the extra load rating.  Using a tire with a load rating greater than it needs to be, is not going to improve the ride.  
    Trailer tires should not be going down the highway at 70-80pmh (especially RV trailers) and do not need the extra 6-ply construction, 4-ply is more than sufficient.  Spending more money for over-rated truck tires on a trailer is spending more $ than you need, as the average RV tire will go past their max use date before they wear out.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.