Options

Frigidaire air conditioner: question about external screen over the back of the unit

We just came back from a camping weekend and while parking our t@b we noticed that the external screen is loose, leaving about 1" gap on the top corner. As a precaution, we taped the whole back side with some duct tape to prevent insects and such from getting into t@b via a/c box. Has anyone encountered this problem before and what is the best way to repair it / preven reoccurring issues with the screen?
Thanks much!
2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You're talking the high wall mounted AC?
    I notice the corner of mine is loose. Was wondering where all those knats were getting in - maybe there but they'd have to crawl around the AC unit before taking flight again.
    Since it's raining I'll have to wait to see what a fix looks like.
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Hi PXL! Yes, our unit is high wall mounted too (S model). The problem is in the upper right corner, for what we could see without opening up the frame from outside. Plan to try and do so tomorrow, didn't have the right tool on us today and we store our t@b away from home. We'll share what we manage to figure out, please do the same.
  • Options
    Mines the upper right corner also - Look forward to seeing what you find.
  • Options
    We decided to play it safe and took the T@B to our dealership. It turned out that the issue is related with ageing of  the tape that holds the screen in place: the tape let loose and screen slipped down on the right upper corner. The fix was fairly simple: unscrew the frame from outside, remove old tape,  reposition the screen, and secure it with the new tape. Our dealer used aluminised ducting tape for that purpose, the same kind like used elsewhere on the air conditioner (i.e. not the 'regular' duct tape). The repair took approximately 10 minutes. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Very simple indeed. We decided to get some aluminised ducting tape next time we go to a home improvement store, to have at hand should this happen again.