How to clean bathroom sink drain & trap?

geoBgeoB Member Posts: 85
Oh, the joys of winterizing. That part went quite well. What I learned, though, is that the sink in the bathroom of our 2021 400 BD may clog. Pink flood, not Pink Floyd. If it clogs it will share a significant quantity of antifreeze with the entire bathroom. Cleanup is moderately easy. How to clean the sink drain & trap, however, is not at all obvious. I've viewed the trap behind the panel. Hope that's not the way to go.

Any clues?

TIA for your forbearance.
2020 Toyota Highlander + 2021 T@B 400 BD 
Truckee, CA expat, now driving out of Reno

Comments

• qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 494
    I feel your pain @geoB. It led me to pull the sink in our 2019 and it may have led NuCamp to abandon the fold down sinks for a corner sink in the newest model.

In my 2019 with the round folding sink the drain was flexible 3/4 " corrugated. one came from the center of the sink and one from the cistern drain at the back. Mine looked like this above the floor. If yours is different then none of the following may apply.

That corrugated black drain goes below the angled plastic base to the outside shower area. You have to pull out the shower box to reach it

And there is the traditional trap just below the white threaded connector. Some models are different I know so you will have to confirm. Cleaning this 3/4 " line to the trap with a snake is possible but seems like a lot of work and would likely require pulling the sink out and disconnecting the drain at the sink. My round sink from the back is like this

It seems you could clean the cistern part up to the cistern and the same for the sink bowl part once disconnected, but I would not see a way to move a snake thru these tight spots with it all connected.

So in my case it was a problem that was inevitable, so I just pulled the sink entirely. Others have had different solutions if you search the forum for "folding sink"

Good luck. 

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • geoBgeoB Member Posts: 85
    First off - thanks for the search term. Amazing the adventures co-nüCampers have had with the sink. As it turns out, the plumbing of our drain looks like standard ABS pipe & trap. Pulling that stuff is so much messier than the usual household approach of working from the top down. Guess the best way forward for now will be pour some drain cleaner in from the top & cross my fingers. And that's next year since today was spent covering the windows with stretch wrap & installing the window-scratching Allpro cover.
    2020 Toyota Highlander + 2021 T@B 400 BD 
    Truckee, CA expat, now driving out of Reno