Options

Starlink Outdoor Cable Connection

Starlink does not offer a weatherproof cable connection for RV's.  This was my solution.  Was a lot of work cutting through the wall in order to accommodate that unusually sized ethernet cable box ($25).  The face of that box also had to be cut down so the weatherproof cover would close.  The box is held in place on the interior with a simple "L" bracket.  The three round holes were for my Dish TV coaxial cable weatherproof cover.  Won't be needing that service now that I have Starlink.  Very pleased with the results.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2022
    Interesting. 

I just put in an order for service + a Dishy v2 unit. I'm planning to mutilate the 75ft default cable with a splice to RJ-45 mod plugs and pass-through the camper wall with a more conventional RJ-45 jack. Planning to rig up a transfer switch between shore power and a Victron Phoenix inverter for power on the initial install.

Long term, I have my eye on DishyPowa: https://dishypowa.com/

If you proceed to the ordering page, they showcase a v2 device that's much more elegant (includes a baked-in 12v to 48v step-up converter) that you can be waitlisted for. I put myself on the waitlist for that. They're projecting a release later this year:

Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Techietab - that type of mod is way over my skill level.  I did watch at least one YouTube video where someone replaced the stock ends with RJ45 connections.  Good luck and report back when you're done!
  • Options
    Finished the install today and am very happy with the results.  The outdoor cable connection is rock solid, the modem fits under the seat cushion next to the Alde, there are no devices, wires or cables in the cabin, and the modem uses the Alde 110V outlet.  Plus everything fits into a $7 plastic tub purchased at Walmart.

• Options
    schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 47
    Nice install, I am planning on running mine through the door where the coax is and locate the everything under the bed next to the stock inverter.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
  • Options
    Epic, Monumental, Stupendous Starlink FAIL.
    Words cannot express the absolute frustration in dealing with a company that has no conduit to speak with an actual human being to resolve issues. I am in week four of trying to get my system running and still have no Starlink capacity - nor any hope of getting one in the future because of their format for dealing with any problems that may arise at the consumer level.  Insult to injury, just received my auto monthly pay notice for service I never had.  Also, I have no idea how to return this unusable system because it seems you never communicate with an actual human being.