Options

New to the Forum

jujyhewesjujyhewes Member Posts: 4
Hi..We purchased a 2022 Ultimate Camper by Ultimate Toys and it is manufactured by NuCamp. We owned a Airstream Bambi when our kids were small and this is our empty nester camper. This is our 2nd trip...found a few snafu's on the maiden voyage and had them fixed. This weekend we are taking it up to the Angeles Mountains at 7K ft. and no electricity at the campground. Bringing warm sleeping bags in case we don't figure out the quasi boondocking situation.. Any tips are welcome. Also hoping our small suv can pull it up the mountain. This looks like a great place to figure things out.
2022 Ultimate Camper by Ultimate Toys - Manufactured by NuCamp
2021 Hyndai Santa Fe Limited
Southern California

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Welcome and good luck with your trip. I am assuming the systems are similar in your trailer so folks on her should be able to advise. Best tip I got early was to make you check your battery charge with a meter as the built in monitor is not very good.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    jujyhewes said:
    . . . purchased a 2022 Ultimate Camper by Ultimate Toys
    . . . Any tips are welcome.
    For many new 320S / 400 owners learning to operate the heater and managing the battery bank are the most difficult steps.  With the UT-Teardrop you have the same type of forced air furnace (heater) used in most trailers, not the more challenging Alde nüCamp TaBs use.

Your UT-teardrop also has a factory installed Solar panel so with care managing your electrical usage you should have enough battery bank to run the Dometic Heater's Fan.

UT-teardrop information in the public literature lacks details on trailer gross weight, battery type/size, solar panel size, etc.  So you will have to do some research to learn the "as purchased" performance of your new trailer.
    jujyhewes said:
    . . . we are taking it up to the Angeles Mountains at 7K ft.
    . . . hoping our small suv can pull it up the mountain.
    UT-teardrop web-site says it has a 2450# dry weight and they recommend a tow vehicle tow rating of at least 3,500#.
    There should be a sticker/label on the trailer stating the allowed payload; water, food, stuff, etc That can be added to the dry weight.

If your Santa Fe has the high-output, G2.5 TGDI, engine it is rated to tow 3,500#
    If you don't have the TGDI then the tow rating is in the 2,000 to 2,800# range depending on other vehicle features.

The Santa Fe owners manual also states:
     - A -  Do not tow at speeds above 60 MPH
     - B -   On long steep hills do not tow above 45 MPH
     - C -  Hyundai recommends a sway bar be used.
               Side Note:  With the wider width of the UT-teardrop, tow mirror extensions could be helpful.
     - D -  Hyundai notes engine output drops with increased altitude.
               They say your Tow Rating drops 10% for every 1,000 meters of elevation.

Your 7,000# mountain trip is just over 2,000 meters elevation.
               So the max TGDI engine rating of 3,500# drops to 2,800# for best vehicle operation.
               That drops your trailer payload to about 350#

None of the above says you cannot go to the mountain - - - just be aware and informed on how towing with your Santa Fe will change the performance.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    qhumberd said:
    Welcome and good luck with your trip. I am assuming the systems are similar in your trailer so folks on her should be able to advise. Best tip I got early was to make you check your battery charge with a meter as the built in monitor is not very good.
    Hi...I think this is the way to reply...Thanks so much for that tip. I read about that device on a thread re: boondocking. Unfortunately we won't have time to pick one up but I did order on Amazon. Thx! 

Southern California
  • Options
    @MuttonChops Thank you for all of that info. Yes..I compared the heater types on the UT advertising to the TAB CS-S (which is the one we think it is modified from). I was going to review the manual tomorrow for the heater, so that answers my question..Thx! Sounds like the Santa Fe might be struggling to get up there. We have a year before we can trade in for an upgrade. We definitely need a more powerful car for where we want to explore. THX again!
    Southern California
  • Options
    Hi @qhumberd Is this the type of device you mentioned to check the battery charge level?
    Southern California
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    edited October 2022
    The "meter" that will get you more accurate info is a "multimeter".  The best way to check a battery status is with the battery "not doing anything".  Not charging, and not powering anything.
    A multimeter is a very easy device to use, and we can show you how. The only downside is you have to open up your battery box to get to the battery terminals.
    A meter can also be found in Harbor Freight, etc. 
    Your battery, at this very minute, is plotting against you!
    Note how many times battery issues come up.  This is a search for "rested battery", and most of the posters were asking....what happened to my battery?  It is all part of the learning process of trailer life. 
    (If you had a Bambi before, some of this may be already known!)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    jujyhewes said:
    Hi @qhumberd Is this the type of device you mentioned to check the battery charge level?
    Hey @jujyhewes @pthomas745 is exactly right, but multimeters are a bit daunting to non electrical types. I was thinking of a 12V plug in that can give you a voltage when the battery is connected to the trailer circuits. If you have everything turned off the only load on the battery is the small “parasitic “ load of things not turned on. So it is almost like a resting battery. Then a voltage versus percent charge table will give you a pretty good idea of how much capacity is left when boondocking. I have one similar to this one and it provides a couple of USB ports.

Jebsens 4.8A 24W Dual USB Car Charger Volt Meter Car Battery Monitor with LED Voltage & Amps Display, for iPhone 7 / 6s / Plus, iPad Pro/Air 2 / Mini, Galaxy S7 / S6 / Edge/Plus, Note 5/4 https://a.co/d/5UTqXFA

Your battery will try to get you, as was said , so be aware! A multimeter is the best, just not fun for many.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    edited October 2022
    A multimeter has many buttons and heiroglyphics, yes.  But, only one button and glyph is needed! Yes, it can be confusing.  It took me a year or so to figure these things out, but it was a warp speed jump in helping with my power use.
    If you don't want to deal with all that, there are several devices that are basic meters that attach directly to the battery, and then work through a bluetooth app.  There are many devices like this.  Just turn the battery switch off and wait a few minutes.  No hoping or guessing, extremely easy.

And: we don't know a lot about the innards of the Ultimate.  If it has solar, what solar controller is installed?  If you have a Victron controller, all you really need is the Victron app. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,278
    Put this on the tongue box on the front of our 320S. It's wired directly to the battery, so I can turn off the battery switch and solar to get a fairly accurate battery reading. Cigarette lighter port on right comes in handy for 12V fridge with minimal voltage drop.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    Welcome!  We are new UT owners as well and absolutely love it!  We have been getting out every other weekend!  Some places with hookups, others without.  Can’t imagine not having two galleys (bar) and a full width bed.  Furnace is fabulous.  Shout if you have any questions!  Cheers!  Jordan
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
     Btw, my tv is a 2 liter Volvo xc-40 and I cannot even feel the trailer.  Tows like a dream.  I have a good brake controller which helps.  You are going to love it!
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California